Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Homicide in Langley

Homicide in Langley
Mounties in Langley say one man is dead and another is recovering in hospital after an overnight shooting that's believed to be an isolated incident. R-C-M-P say they received a report of gunshots in area along 202 Street near 72 Avenue just after midnight.

Homicide in Langley

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions
Canada has been planning since October for a possible evacuation of its citizens and sent military personnel to Lebanon and Cyprus in preparation. Salameh hopes that her rescheduled flight on Aug.

Canadians urged to leave Lebanon as flights cancelled amid growing tensions

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof
The Liberal government continues to insist that Meta may still be regulated under its Online News Act, as Facebook and Instagram users find loopholes to share articles despite its news ban. But the regulator overseeing the implementation of the law suggests it doesn't have evidence of that in hand. 

Ottawa says Meta may still see Online News Act regulation — but CRTC wants more proof

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park
Jasper National Park says wildfires in the area have grown by thousands of hectares and are set to expand further on Friday. The park says the wildfire remains out of control and has grown by about 7,500 hectares, bringing it to about 39,000 hectares.

Wildfires expected to grow again amid hot, dry weather: Jasper National Park

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States
The agreement, which is yet to be signed, will establish the legal and technical safeguards needed to use U.S. space launch technology, expertise and data for launches in Canada.

Canada finishes space launch negotiations with the United States

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George
The S-P-C-A says animal protection officers have seized more than 40 German shepherds including a dozen puppies from breeder southeast of Prince George. Marcie Moriarty, chief of protection and outreach services, says the dogs were living in "horrible" conditions in outdoor kennels covered in urine and feces.

SPCA seizes over 40 dogs near Prince George