Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Senior dies in motorcycle crash
A 71-year-old man is dead after a motorcycle crash in Twin Bays. R-C-M-P say it happened on Saturday on Highway 3-A.

Senior dies in motorcycle crash

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results
Burnaby's hospital is the first in the Fraser Health region to get a new system aimed at speeding up lab results. The 1.5-million-dollar Beckman Autoline D-x-A five-thousand system has a conveyor for moving test tubes between analyzers.

Burnaby Hospital to expedite lab results

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk
A man is facing charges after a three-year-old boy was killed in Edmonton when a pickup truck hit him along with his mother and sister. The crash happened in the southwest neighbourhood of Allard on June 27.

Man charged after three-year-old struck and killed in Edmonton crosswalk

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel
A British Columbia boat owner has been fined $13,500 after failing to remove the partially sunken vessel from a bay along the coast of Vancouver Island. Fisheries and Oceans Canada says the owner was given a deadline last March to remove the 12-metre fishing vessel from the waters near Gold River on the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Coast Guard fines owner $13,500 after failure to remove 'hazardous' vessel

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam
Police in British Columbia are warning the public about what they describe as a "hit man" scam. Prince George RCMP say the fraud scheme involves victims who receive texts or emails with threatening messages saying the sender is being sent to kill them. 

Mounties in Prince George issue warning over 'hit man' scam

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week
Parks Canada says it realizes wildfire evacuees from Jasper worry about what rotting food will do to their homes and that others wonder when a critical highway through the national park will reopen, but it says the blaze continues to burn out of control and remains a threat to the town. A statement from the federal agency on Sunday said requests have poured in from people asking for help in retrieving important personal items or to remove food, fridges and freezers.

Rotting food and closed highways a concern as Jasper evacuation nears second week