Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage
A doctor shortage has forced a temporary closure at the Nicola Valley Hospital in Merritt. Interior Health says emergency care at the hospital will be closed for 48 hours.

Merritt hospital emergency room closes for 48 hours amid doctor shortage

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope
British Columbia's Integrated Homicide Investigation Team has been deployed after a "suspicious death" in Hope. It says Mounties responded to a police report of a dead person on Friday and arrived to find the body of a 46-year-old man, who appeared to be the victim of a homicide.

IHIT investigating 'suspicious death' of 45-year-old man in Hope

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave
A summary from Environment Canada shows 22 daily high temperature records fell across the province on Sunday, including one that had stood for almost 120 years.

B.C. heat records tumble, Environment Canada to provide update on heat wave

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack
R-C-M-P say the victim was punched in the face and suffered minor injuries in the alleged attack that occurred at around noon along Number 3 Road, across from the C-F Richmond Centre.

Stranger punched in the face in unprovoked attack

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services
B.C. Housing Minister Ravi Kahlon says the proposed development at the 300-block of East Hastings Street at the former site of a Buddhist temple will be expanded after a donation of adjacent land from the charitable 625 Powell Street Foundation.

Downtown Eastside social housing project expands to four lots, with health services

Fatal crash in Vancouver

Fatal crash in Vancouver
Police in Vancouver say a 27-year-old man is dead after he was struck by a car while riding his motorcycle yesterday. They say the motorcyclist was riding south on Arbutus Street toward West 21st Avenue just before 9:30 p-m when he collided with a grey Honda C-R-V.

Fatal crash in Vancouver