Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit
Lawyers for several Humboldt Broncos families were in court Tuesday fighting a bid by the government of Saskatchewan to have it removed as a defendant in a lawsuit over the deadly bus crash in 2018. 

Humboldt Broncos families fight to keep Saskatchewan government named in lawsuit

B.C. miners serve strike notice at Gibraltar copper pit in central Interior

B.C. miners serve strike notice at Gibraltar copper pit in central Interior
A union representing 550 workers at a mine in British Columbia's central Interior says they're prepared to go on strike if a new contract is not reached by the end of Friday.

B.C. miners serve strike notice at Gibraltar copper pit in central Interior

Canada to see warm summer, wildfire risks loom for some regions: Weather Network

Canada to see warm summer, wildfire risks loom for some regions: Weather Network
Get ready to feel the heat, Canada. The Weather Network is predicting more sunshine and warmer temperatures for the summer.

Canada to see warm summer, wildfire risks loom for some regions: Weather Network

DNA match leads to conviction 22 years after B.C. sexual assault

DNA match leads to conviction 22 years after B.C. sexual assault
Police in Metro Vancouver say a DNA match led to a man's arrest and conviction more than 22 years after he broke into a woman's home and sexually assaulted her.  Richmond RCMP say Christopher Sharafi, also known as Mohammed Mendi Sharafi, was found guilty last October, and in April he was sentenced to five years in prison for the two offences dating back to December 2001.

DNA match leads to conviction 22 years after B.C. sexual assault

Weekend arson in Kelowna

Weekend arson in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna say they're investigating an arson that occurred last Sunday morning. Kelowna R-C-M-P say city firefighters were called to a blaze at an automotive business on Kent Road. 

Weekend arson in Kelowna

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time
Surrey's mayor is criticizing the B-C government's recent announcement that the Pattullo Bridge replacement has been delayed for the second time.  The province says the bridge spanning the Fraser River between New Westminster and Surrey will not be completed and open to traffic until the fall of 2025. 

Pattullo Bridge replacement delayed for second time