Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent
The landlord company successfully argued that financial losses caused by the interest rate hikes were not foreseeable "under reasonable circumstances," and it should be allowed to increase rent beyond the 3.5 per cent limit set by the province for this year.

Tenant advocate decries 'troubling' ruling that let landlord hike rent by 27 per cent

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo
Canada is selling its former Manhattan residence, which used to house its consulate general in New York.  Global Affairs Canada says the five-bedroom condo was listed today at over $13 million, which is expected to exceed the purchase price of its new $9 million condo located on a Manhattan street known as Billionaires' Row. 

Canada lists old NYC residence for $13M, surpassing cost of new luxury condo

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence
British Columbia's police watchdog says a Metro Vancouver Transit Police officer involved in a shooting in Vancouver's Gastown neighbourhood in 2022 may have committed an offence and has asked prosecutors to consider charges. The Independent Investigations Office says there are "reasonable grounds" to believe the officer may have broken the law in relation to use of a firearm.

B.C. police watchdog says officer in Gastown shooting may have committed offence

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire
The Shetland Creek wildfire destroyed at least 20 structures, six of which were homes in the Venables Valley in the days after the blaze was first reported on July 12. The fire is still classified as out of control and has burned 280 square kilometres of forested land on rural properties on the western side of the Thompson River.

District gives 'all clear,' rescinds evacuation alert due to Shetland Creek wildfire

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death
The WorkSafeBC report into the July 28 death of Zak Muise, employed by contractor Big Cat Wildfire, says the wildfire service didn't adequately supervise use of the utility vehicles, lacked procedures and training about their operation and didn't ensure they were inspected for safety.

Workplace report blames BC Wildfire Service again in another firefighter's death

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing
Mounties in Metro Vancouver say a three-month crackdown on unlicensed ride-hailing drivers has led to more than 66-thousand-dollars in fines. Richmond R-C-M-P say it involved six days of enforcement by officers who used unauthorized ride-hailing apps to book rides and intercept the drivers.

Crackdown on illegal ride hailing