Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

One dead in Surrey crash

One dead in Surrey crash
Police in Surrey say a crash early Sunday morning claimed one life and closed a portion of 144th Street.  R-C-M-P say the two-vehicle collision happened just before 5 A-M Sunday at the intersection of 144th and 62nd Avenue. 

One dead in Surrey crash

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges
On May 4 of last year Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a sexual assault.  On July 2nd, 59-year-old Ajastar Singh was charged with sexual assault and sexual interference of a person under the age of 16 years.

59-year-old Ajastar Singh facing teen sexual assault charges

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday
A Calgary official says the city is set to announce Monday whether it's ready to lift its mandatory ban on outdoor watering. The ban has been in place since a major water feeder main burst on June 5.

Calgary says decision on lifting outdoor water ban coming Monday

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote
A shakeup of seismic proportions is reshaping the British Columbia political landscape a little over three months ahead of this fall's Oct. 19 election. Former political foes are forging once unimaginable unions, an established party faces annihilation at the ballot box and heavyweights from the ruling New Democrats have waited until summer to announce their retirements.

Strange summer for B.C. politics gone wild, as alliances shift ahead of fall vote

Drivers reminded of road safety

Drivers reminded of road safety
The B-C Coroners Service is reminding drivers of a number of safety tips after a week that saw several fatal crashes in the province. It says there were 19 accidental deaths due to motor vehicle crashes between July 5th and 10th, with 12 of those deaths happening in three of the incidents.

Drivers reminded of road safety

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria
A man has been charged after a paramedic was assaulted while responding to a call in Victoria. City police say it happened last night when a man began hitting and kicking a paramedic in the face as they tried to medically assist him.

Paramedic assaulted in Victoria