Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria
Police in Victoria say a man has been charged with murder stemming from a fatal stabbing attack in March. Police say the stabbing happened on March 31st in downtown Victoria, where officers found one male victim dead and another unidentified victim suffering from non-life-threatening injuries.

Fatal stabbing attack in Victoria

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl
Premier David Eby's special countdown ended with the announcement of the arrival of his newborn baby on Thursday, following his early campaign start for British Columbia's election. Eby says his third daughter, Gwendolyn Kay Eby, was born happy and healthy.

B.C. Premier David Eby welcomes baby girl

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police
Police say a three-year-old boy has died after a pickup truck hit a family crossing a street in Edmonton. Police say the truck had quickly stopped at in intersection in the city's southwest while a woman and her two young children were in a marked crosswalk.

Truck hits family in Edmonton crosswalk, killing three-year-old boy: police

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks
Breaking up the federal and provincial arms of the New Democratic Party would be a mistake, federal NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh suggested on Thursday, as members in Alberta increasingly vocalize their desire for a separation. Singh said the federal and Alberta NDP need to remain united in their goals to bring down conservatives.

Jagmeet Singh makes his case to Alberta's new NDP leader amid party separation talks

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary
Police fired more than 100 rounds in the 26 seconds that followed, killing 22-year-old twin brothers Mathew and Isaac Auchterlonie. Both men were wearing masks and body armour, and were carrying semi-automatic rifles. Police couldn't say who shot first. 

Wounded Victoria officer recalls wild robbery shootout ahead of two-year anniversary

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities
When the government first announced people with disabilities would have access to national dental coverage this year, Antonella Giordano  really started to look forward to no longer paying out of pocket to care for her teeth. The 61-year-old Montrealer has been on disability from work for more than a decade for reasons related to her mental health.

Eligibility for Ottawa's dental plan expands to children, people with disabilities