Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push
Foreign aid groups are hailing the federal Liberal government's return to a policy of increasing humanitarian and development spending each year, while asking for a plan to push allies to reverse a global decline in aid. 

Liberals buck global trend by 'doubling down' on foreign aid, as sector urges G7 push

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding
Transportation Minister Rob Fleming says the additional buses will reduce overcrowding and wait times throughout the region. A statement from the province says the money will go toward purchasing buses to increase future services, while TransLink will put remaining funds from $479 million the province provided last year toward immediate improvements.

B.C. government earmarks $300M to help TransLink buy more buses, reduce overcrowding

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision
Police say a cyclist is dead after a collision with a Dodge Ram pickup truck in East Vancouver. It happened just before 2 P-M yesterday near the intersection of Clark Drive and East 11th Avenue.  

Cyclist dies in Vancouver collision

School bus crash near Mission

School bus crash near Mission
Police say the driver of a pickup truck was airlifted to hospital after a head-on crash with a school bus outside Mission, BC, yesterday. RCMP say the truck was travelling west when it reportedly entered the opposite land and collided with the bus.

School bus crash near Mission

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe
Mounties in B.C.'s Lower Mainland say a months-long trafficking investigation spanned multiple cities and led to the seizure of significant quantities of illicit drugs, along with guns and $500,000 in cash. A statement from Chilliwack RCMP says police searched locations including an apartment in downtown Chilliwack, a home in Vancouver's Collingwood area, two residences in Langley's Willowbrook neighbourhood as well as three in Surrey.

B.C. police seize guns, 14 kilograms of fentanyl in Lower Mainland trafficking probe

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud
A former Montreal resident has been sentenced to 10 years in a United States federal prison for a multi-decade fraud that manipulated more than one million Americans into sending money to fake psychics.  The U.S. Justice Department says Patrice Runner, 57, stole more than $175 million from 1.3 million people in the U.S. between 1994 and 2014.

10 years in U.S. prison for Canadian man who stole millions with fake psychic fraud