Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel
Canada opted to say as little as possible Friday about an International Court of Justice ruling that ordered Israel to prevent a genocide of Palestinians in the Gaza Strip. After hours of silence from the federal government, Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly eventually released a statement that did not directly respond to the ruling.

Canada takes no clear position on interim ruling in genocide case against Israel

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack
Canada is joining the United States in suspending funding for a UN agency that supports Palestinians, in response to allegations agency staff played a role in the Hamas attack on Israel last October.  Ottawa has ordered a temporary pause on "any additional funding" for the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East.  

Canada suspends cash for UN agency serving Palestinians, amid probe into Hamas attack

Highway 99 closed overnight

Highway 99 closed overnight
Highway 99 in Richmond will be closed overnight for construction work on the Steveston Interchange project. The B-C Transportation Ministry says in a statement the highway will be shut down in both directions starting 11 p-m and ending Saturday at 4:30 a-m.  

Highway 99 closed overnight

B.C. Health Minister announces appointment of new seniors advocate

B.C. Health Minister announces appointment of new seniors advocate
B.C. Health Minister Adrian Dix says the province's new seniors advocate is Dan Levitt, an adjunct professor of gerontology at Simon Fraser University and the head of a non-profit long-term care home.  Levitt says he's "deeply honoured" to be appointed the province's second seniors advocate, and thanked current advocate Isobel Mackenzie, who is retiring in April. 

B.C. Health Minister announces appointment of new seniors advocate

Tackling Cyberbullying Digital Empathy in the Age of AI

Tackling Cyberbullying Digital Empathy in the Age of AI
The rise of social media platforms and online forums has connected people globally, fostering communication and collaboration. However, this interconnectedness has also opened the door to malicious behavior, with cyberbullying emerging as a formidable threat. Unlike traditional forms of bullying, cyberbullying transcends physical boundaries, allowing perpetrators to target individuals relentlessly through the anonymity afforded by the internet.

Tackling Cyberbullying Digital Empathy in the Age of AI

Balancing Acts The Impact of Work Hour Restrictions on International Students

Balancing Acts The Impact of Work Hour Restrictions on International Students
The Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation stipulates that international students holding a study permit without a work permit are limited to working a maximum of 20 hours per week off-campus during the academic session, while they are permitted to work full-time during breaks between sessions. On-campus work has no hourly restrictions. Violation of this work cap, as outlined by the Government of Canada, may result in severe consequences, including the loss of student status, denial of approval for future study or work permits, or even deportation. 

Balancing Acts The Impact of Work Hour Restrictions on International Students