Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey
TransLink says its new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus is now cruising the streets on what it calls the busiest bus corridor south of the Fraser.  TransLink says the R-6 is geared toward Surry and Delta residents and Kwantlen University students, who can expect to shave a few minutes off their trips between Scott Road station and the Newton bus exchange. 

TransLink launches new R-6 Scott Road RapidBus for Surrey

One dead in Surrey house fire

One dead in Surrey house fire
One person died on New Year's Day in a house fire in Surrey. Mounties say four occupants of the house escaped and are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

One dead in Surrey house fire

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford
On December 30th of last year 24-year-old Roman Arinder Gill and 28-year-old Shaun Narinder Gill were charged with various firearm offences.  Mounties say officers were called Friday to a report of shots fired, when two suspects fled the area in a blue Range Rover.

Roman Arinder Gill & Shaun Narinder Gill charged following shots fired in Guildford

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice
A union representing more than 180 transit workers in B.C. has issued a 72-hour strike notice. CUPE Local 4500 represents workers employed by the Coast Mountain Bus Company, which runs transit operations for all of Metro Vancouver. The notice is effective at 8 a.m. local time on Wednesday.  

B.C. union representing Lower Mainland transit workers issues 72-hour strike notice

1 injured in Surrey shooting

1 injured in Surrey shooting
Mounties in Surrey say a man suffered serious injuries after a shooting in Port Kells Monday night. Surrey R-C-M-P say they were called to a report of shots fired on 92nd Avenue around 10 p-m where they found a 19-year-old victim with a gunshot wound. 

1 injured in Surrey shooting

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12
The premier says he spoke with Carson's father who told him that since their son's death, the family has been contacted by the families of three of his classmates, who said their children were also talking online with strangers. Eby says people from across B.C. have been contacting his office saying their children were in situations similar to Carson's and they only found out due to publicity surrounding the boy's death.

Eby to target predators after talking to dad of sextortion victim Carson Cleland, 12