Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts
The Vancouver Police Department says holiday shoppers should be on the lookout for Grinch-like thieves looking to steal their Christmas gifts.  In a short video posted on social media, the V-P-D says shoppers should be careful about storing gifts in vehicles because criminals are out shopping for opportunities. 

Grinch like thieves stealing Xmas gifts

B.C. watchdog investigates after man killed in police-involved shooting in Abbotsford

B.C. watchdog investigates after man killed in police-involved shooting in Abbotsford
One man is dead after a police-involved shooting in Abbotsford, British Columbia, on Sunday night. Police say the shooting happened in the 1700 block of Riverside Road, and the section between Marshall and King roads has been closed due to the ongoing investigation.

B.C. watchdog investigates after man killed in police-involved shooting in Abbotsford

Earthquakes Canada receives hundreds of reports in B.C. after 4.9 magnitude quake

Earthquakes Canada receives hundreds of reports in B.C. after 4.9 magnitude quake
Earthquakes Canada says a 4.9 magnitude earthquake was recorded Sunday afternoon and public reports poured in from hundreds of kilometres away from the event's epicentre.  John Cassidy, a seismologist with Natural Resources Canada, says people over a "very wide region" of the province have reported feeling the earthquake, which hit just before 3:30 in the afternoon.

Earthquakes Canada receives hundreds of reports in B.C. after 4.9 magnitude quake

Attorney General vouches for virtual bail

Attorney General vouches for virtual bail
BC Attorney General Niki Sharma says the expansion of virtual bail across the province is an important step to make the justice system more efficient and effective. The virtual bail hearings allow judges, court staff and lawyers to appear from multiple jurisdictions, on the same day, without the need to travel. 

Attorney General vouches for virtual bail

Surrey RCMP disrupt an attempt to steal toy donations from non-profit

Surrey RCMP disrupt an attempt to steal toy donations from non-profit
Surrey R-C-M-P foiled an attempt to steal toy donations from a non-profit organization. The Mounties say officers responded to an alarm at the non-profit overnight Tuesday. They say officers saw a man behind the building with a cart filled with three boxes of toys.  

Surrey RCMP disrupt an attempt to steal toy donations from non-profit

Fraudulent bank drafts leave 3 victims out more than 50k in valuables: Richmond RCMP

Fraudulent bank drafts leave 3 victims out more than 50k in valuables: Richmond RCMP
Residents of Richmond are being warned to stay alert after fraudulent bank drafts left three area victims short more than 50-thousand-dollars in valuables. The Mounties say the first two incidents happened on December 8th involving a woman and a man who were both selling items online.

Fraudulent bank drafts leave 3 victims out more than 50k in valuables: Richmond RCMP