Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week
The federal government hopes to avoid gumming up the works of its new dental-insurance plan by gradually phasing in enrolment over the course of the next year, Health Minister Mark Holland said Monday. Seniors over the age of 87 will be the first cohort to be able to apply to join a new federal dental-insurance plan. 

Seniors over 87 can apply to join federal dental plan starting next week

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary
Fire officials say three people are dead after a fire in a shed outside a home improvement store in Calgary. Crews responded to the fire just before 4 a.m. Monday at a Lowe's in the city's northwest. The bodies were found inside the shed after the flames were extinguished.  

Three dead after shed fire outside home improvement store in Calgary

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death
Three people, including a youth, face murder charges after police say a man was dropped off at a rural Alberta medical centre following an assault. RCMP say Nathan Nanootch, who was 25, was left at the health facility in John D'Or Prairie last Tuesday, but later died from his injuries. An 18-year-old, a 19-year-old and a youth have been arrested and charged with second-degree murder.

Three people, including youth, charged with second-degree murder in Alberta death

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike
Workers at the Hudson’s Bay store at Aberdeen Mall in Kamloops, B.C., have walked off the job after their union and the company were unable to reach a wage agreement. United Steelworkers union Local 1-417, which represents the workers, says talks have been ongoing since July without success. 

Workers at Hudson's Bay store in Kamloops on strike

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore
Police say the suspect vehicle fled the scene and was found burned in Surrey, B.C., later that same night. No one has yet been arrested in connection to the shooting. RCMP is asking anyone who saw a grey Jaguar SUV in the area on Wednesday or who may have witnessed the shooting to contact police.

RCMP in Mission seek witnesses to shooting at Real Canadian Superstore

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital
Mounties in Williams Lake, B.C., say two people were arrested after a 32-year-old man brought a dead infant to a hospital. Police say a second injured child was later found and brought to the hospital for a medical assessment.  

Two people arrested in B.C. after dead infant brought to hospital