Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation
British Columbia's Public Safety Ministry says it has filed an unexplained wealth order application in court following a 2023 shooting at a Vancouver home. As part of a criminal investigation, the ministry says a suspect's home was searched and police discovered an illegal cannabis-growing operation, ammunition and more than $1.4 million in cash. 

B.C. files unexplained wealth order following Vancouver shooting investigation

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast
The BC Wildfire Service says rain, light winds and cooler temperatures are expected to decrease fire behaviour in the province this week, just as a newly discovered blaze in the East Kootenays prompts an evacuation order and alerts for more than 50 properties.

Weather aids B.C. fire fight amid evacuation order and alerts in southeast

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam
A 56-year-old man is facing a sexual assault charge after what Burnaby R-C-M-P are calling a "cleansing ritual scam". Police say a 29-year-old woman was approached by a man at a Burnaby mall on August 5th.

Sexual assault charge in cleansing ritual scam

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds
The Canadian Medical Association says there should be better tracking of health care spending, following health care agreements the federal government has signed with the provinces and territories. The doctors’ group has released a new report calling for a greater commitment to tracking improvements in delivery and patient outcomes, citing the complexity of the deals.

Canadian Medical Association calls for more tracking of health care funds

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

4 youth assaulted with bear mace
West Shore Mounties say a 32-year-old man is facing eight charges after a group of four youth were assaulted with bear mace last week. They say officers responded to a report of an assault on Wednesday around on the Galloping Goose Trail.

4 youth assaulted with bear mace

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight
One person is dead and another has been airlifted to hospital following a crash on Highway 1 in British Columbia. Sgt. Joe Leeson with Langley RCMP says officers were called around 9:40 p.m. Friday night after a tow truck hit the rear of a tractor-trailer unit in the eastbound lanes of Highway 1.  Leeson says the tow-truck driver died at the scene.

Collision in Langley leaves one dead and closes some lanes of Highway 1 overnight