Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action
A judge has certified a class-action lawsuit alleging destruction in the November 2021 atmospheric river flooding in the Fraser Valley was magnified by improper operations of a pump station. B.C. Supreme Court Justice S. Dev Dley says the lawsuit's allegations against the City of Abbotsford potentially affected a significant number of people in the nearby Sumas Prairie area.

Court certifies flooding lawsuit against Abbotsford, B.C., as class action

Weekend armed robbery ID needed

Weekend armed robbery ID needed
R-C-M-P in Surrey are asking for the public's help in identifying two suspects and a vehicle allegedly involved in an armed robbery last weekend. They say officers were called to a business near the intersection of 120 Street and 92 Avenue, where it was reported that two men came in wearing masks and carrying what appeared to be one long gun and one handgun.

Weekend armed robbery ID needed

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline
British Columbia has launched a new helpline for people who witness or experience a racist incident, with support available in more than 240 languages. The province says callers will receive support and guidance, which could include referrals to local community support services, such as counselling or help with reporting to police.

B.C. unveils 240-language racism reporting helpline

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage
British Columbia will cover the cost of an antiviral drug aimed at treating mild to moderate cases of COVID-19 as the federal government ends its coverage. A statement from B.C.'s Health Ministry says the province will provide 100 per cent coverage for the treatment sold under the brand name Paxlovid, for B.C. residents with an active medical services plan.

B.C. government to pay for COVID-19 drug Paxlovid after feds drop coverage

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus
Police have arrested one person during the clearance of pro-Palestinian protesters who were blocking a main intersection at the University of British Columbia campus in Vancouver. But there was no obvious move against a protest encampment that has occupied a sports field at the campus for a month.

Police clear road, arrest one pro-Palestinian protester on University of B.C. campus

Lawyer for trucker who caused deadly Broncos crash says families have no right to sue

Lawyer for trucker who caused deadly Broncos crash says families have no right to sue
Sixteen people were killed and 13 were injured when the rookie trucker went through a stop sign and into the path of the junior hockey team's bus at a rural intersection near Tisdale, Sask., in 2018. The truck driver, Jaskirat Singh Sidhu, was sentenced to eight years in prison for dangerous driving offences. Last week, Sidhu, who had permanent resident status, was ordered to be deported to India.

Lawyer for trucker who caused deadly Broncos crash says families have no right to sue