Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau
Prime Minister Justin Trudeau is denouncing a protest outside a Toronto hospital as a "reprehensible" display of antisemitism as police say they are investigating several incidents that took place during the demonstration.

Protest outside Mount Sinai Hospital 'reprehensible' show of antisemitism: Trudeau

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts
Members of Parliament have invited several top executives from BCE Inc. and Bell Canada to testify later this month about the company's decision to cut about nine per cent of its workforce this year.  The House of Commons heritage committee has agreed to invite BCE Inc. CEO Mirko Bibic to address the cuts, which include impacts on newsrooms across the country. 

Bell CEO, other execs called to committee to testify over recent job cuts

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units
The New Democrat government's almost $3 billion BC Builds program will target property owned by governments, communities and non-profits, and provide low-cost financing to fast-track affordable rental developments on underutilized lands across B.C., he said.  

B.C. eyes community, non-profit, underused lands to build affordable rental units

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs
Police in British Columbia say an investigation spanning several communities has led to the largest one-time seizure of contraband cigarettes in the province, with a retail value of $11 million, along with guns, ammunition and illegal drugs. A statement from the Combined Special Enforcement Unit says it received information last August prompting the investigation that expanded throughout B.C.'s Lower Mainland and southern Vancouver Island.  

B.C. police seize $11M worth of contraband cigarettes along with guns, drugs

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby
A 44-million-dollar project aims to improve operations at the Burnaby transit centre.  A statement from Infrastructure Canada says the joint funding from the federal government and TransLink will support up to 130 additional buses in the fast-growing Metro Vancouver community.

44M to be pumped into transit for Burnaby

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding
Langley City council is asking the B-C government to invest in expanding schools to address overcrowding as the community grows. A statement from Mayor Nathan Pachal says enrolment has already surpassed capacity, and the expected arrival of the SkyTrain in 2028 along with new provincial housing requirements will bring significantly more students over the next decade.

Langley mayor wants Province to invest in school expansion in Langley to combat overcrowding