Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship
Immigration Minister Marc Miller says he plans to look into whether the man accused of plotting a terror attack in Toronto should have his Canadian citizenship revoked. Ahmed Fouad Mostafa Eldidi, 62, and his son Mostafa Eldidi, 26, were arrested in Richmond Hill, Ont., and face nine terrorism charges including conspiracy to commit murder on behalf of the Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant.

Immigration minister looking into revoking terror suspect's citizenship

Senior assaulted in a park

Senior assaulted in a park
Mounties in North Vancouver are asking for the public’s help to identify a suspect after a senior was assaulted in a local park last month. R-C-M-P say officers arrived at a playground in North Vancouver on July 27th at 6:30 p.m. when the victim was assaulted after trying to enter the playground to throw away his dog’s waste.

Senior assaulted in a park

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province
Councillors in the District of West Vancouver have narrowly voted in favour of getting onboard with provincial legislation requiring communities to allow multi-unit housing on lots that have previously been zoned for single-family homes. The district, which includes some of British Columbia's most expensive properties, had initially rejected the provincial legislation aimed at easing the housing crisis.

District of West Vancouver passes zoning changes, falls in line with province

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border
The U.S. Department of Homeland Security says people seeking asylum at the northern border with Canada will have less time to consult a lawyer before making their case. The department says it reviewed the Safe Third Country Agreement with Canada and concluded that it could streamline the process.

Homeland Security takes steps to tighten asylum rules at Canadian border

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash
A report from the Transportation Safety Board says an investigation couldn't determine a specific cause of a fatal small plane crash in southeastern B.C. last year, but it has prompted some reminders for operators. A witness near the community of Brisco, B.C., called 911 on Nov. 24, 2023, to say they had watched the Piper Cherokee nose dive into the ground, but it took searchers another 17 hours before they found the wreck and the dead pilot inside. 

Transportation Safety Board issues safety reminders after fatal B.C. plane crash

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service
The BC Wildfire Service says hot and dry weather paired with 29 consecutive days of lightning has led to the more than 400 active wildfires burning across the province. Though seasonable temperatures are forecast to return this week, the service says new lightning-caused fires are expected to persist.

Lightning-caused wildfires expected to persist in B.C.: Wildfire Service