Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada
Conservative House leader Andrew Scheer says Canadians have a right to know how a man with links to a foreign terror group evaded Canada's screening process to immigrate to Canada and become a citizen. He is demanding that the House of Commons recall its public safety committee to dig into the situation, calling on the Bloc Québécois and NDP to support that request.

Conservatives demand government explain how terror suspects immigrated to Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada
Employment Minister Randy Boissonnault says the federal government is considering new regulations that could make fewer employers eligible to hire temporary foreign workers. It's part of a suite of changes the minister is announcing in an effort to reduce the number of temporary foreign workers in Canada. 

Ottawa considers changes to reduce number of temporary foreign workers in Canada

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Surrey business targeted in shooting
Police in Surrey say they're investigating yet another shooting involving gunfire targeting a business in the city over the weekend.  Surrey Mounties say the shooting in Newton occurred Sunday night in the 14400-hundred block of 72nd Avenue. 

Surrey business targeted in shooting

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with non-life-threatening injuries following a shooting incident Saturday. The incident occurred at about 8:40 a.m. An investigation is underway to determine the circumstances surrounding the shooting.

Man wounded in Surrey area shooting incident early Saturday, say RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP
Surrey RCMP say a man is in hospital with serious burns after he was lit on fire during an attack in the community of Whalley. Police say they responded Friday afternoon to a report of an assault at 10200 block of City Parkway, where officers found the man suffering from serious injuries.

Man suffers serious burns in attack where he was lit on fire, says Surrey RCMP

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide
British Columbia officials say there is a risk of more landslides and bank erosion as a large lake of water and debris flows past a landslide that blocked the Chilcotin River for days. The latest provincial update says a "significant amount of instability and bank failures" have been observed along the Chilcotin River from the confluence of the Fraser River to the site of the massive landslide. 

B.C. sees 'significant amount of instability and bank failures' after slide