Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

101 drownings last year in BC

101 drownings last year in BC
New statistics from the B-C Coroners Service say 101 people accidentally drowned in the province last year, many of them in the summer months.  Acting chief coroner John McNamee says their report looked at a decade of drownings, and May through August were the most fatal months. 

101 drownings last year in BC

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge
Mounties in Surrey say the search of a home in Maple Ridge turned up stolen merchandise with a total estimated value topping 43-thousand dollars. Police say they arrested a woman who was using Facebook Marketplace to advertise and sell the stolen goods, ranging from designer clothing and accessories to sportswear by popular brands.

Stolen merchandise found in Maple Ridge

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health
One of the two Green Party members in British Columbia's Legislature has announced he will not seek re-election in this fall's provincial vote. Adam Olsen, who represents Saanich North and the Islands, says in a statement that he is stepping down because "it's the responsible and ethical thing" to do when he cannot "commit fully to the job for the next four years."

Green MLA Olsen not running in fall B.C. election, cites mental and physical health

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor
Calgary's weeks-long water crisis, which has prompted civic officials to ask residents to cut back on showers and other activities, may end a little sooner than expected. Underground repairs to a water main that broke June 5 are now complete, Mayor Jyoti Gondek said Tuesday, and service could be restored earlier than the July 5 target date if things go well over the coming days.

Calgarians may see full water service restored earlier than expected: mayor

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today
The Liberal government's changes to capital gains taxation came into effect Tuesday, despite significant pushback from business and physicians' groups. Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland's spring budget proposed making two-thirds of capital gains — the profit made on the sale of assets such as a secondary residence or stocks — taxable, rather than one-half.

Liberal government's proposed capital gains tax changes come into effect today

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence
Foreign Affairs Minister Mélanie Joly is urging Canadians to leave an increasingly volatile Lebanon while they can. In a statement today, Joly says the security situation could deteriorate further without warning due to sustained and escalating violence between Hezbollah and Israel.

Ottawa urges Canadians to leave Lebanon while they can due to escalating violence