Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners
British Columbia's government is tripling a program that offers free air conditioners to people with low incomes as forecasters say the province should prepare for hotter-than-normal temperatures in June. Minister of Energy Josie Osborne told a news briefing that the program, launched last year and managed by the Crown power utility, BC Hydro, had already handed out 6,000 air conditioners and the government was prepared to fund another 19,000 or so.

Forecasters warn B.C. of hot summer, as province offers more free air conditioners

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver
Vancouver Police say a man has been charged after he allegedly sexually assaulted a teenager on a bus in the Mount Pleasant neighbourhood. They say the investigation began two weeks ago when the 15-year-old girl was groped on a bus near the intersections of Broadway and Quebec streets.

Teenager sexually assaulted in Vancouver

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote
Unifor has filed an unfair labour practice complaint against Amazon amid a vote by workers at a Delta, B.C., warehouse over whether they want to join the union. The union claims Amazon beefed up its workforce as Unifor was in the midst of a union drive to try and weaken support.

Unifor alleges Amazon ramped up hiring at B.C. warehouse ahead of union vote

Man carries knife into North Van school

Man carries knife into North Van school
Mounties in North Vancouver are warning the public after a report of a suspicious man allegedly carrying a knife near a North Vancouver elementary school. Police say the incident took place on May 28th outside Westview Elementary and two callers were reported seeing a man carrying what appeared to be a knife near the school. 

Man carries knife into North Van school

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna
Mounties in Kelowna say a routine traffic stop led to a search warrant for a home, where police found drugs, 43-thousand-dollars in cash, and two handguns. RCMP say officers stopped a vehicle last Friday and found the driver was known to police, with a history of involvement in the drug trade in the Okanagan city.

Seizure of 43K & drug bust in Kelowna

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests
Burnaby RCMP say a four-day operation targeting shoplifting at the Metrotown shopping centre led to more than 60 arrests earlier this month. They say 12 of the people arrested had outstanding warrants from across the Lower Mainland, including one person who had been wanted for failure to comply with the province's sex offender registry.

Shoplifting operation leads to over 60 arrests