Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin
The Alberta Utilities Commission is fining another electricity generator that powered bitcoin mining for operating without a licence. 

Alberta Utilities Commission fines another unlicenced power generator mining bitcoin

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video
One of the Indian nationals accused of murdering British Columbia Sikh activist Hardeep Singh Nijjar says in a social media video that he received a Canadian study permit with the help of an Indian immigration consultancy. In the Facebook video posted in December 2019 by EthicWorks Immigration Services and first reported by Global News, Karan Brar says his "study visa has arrived," while a photo shows him holding up what appears to be a passport with a Canadian study permit inside.

Nijjar murder suspect says he had Canadian study permit in immigration firm's video

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026
Most British Columbia drivers will get a vehicle insurance rebate of $110 this year and basic renewal rates will remain frozen until at least March 2026. The Crown-owned Insurance Corporation of B.C. is in good financial shape and in a position to offer rebates totalling $400 million, Premier David Eby said Wednesday at a news conference that began to the strain's of AC/DC's "Back In Black," a reference to the corporation's financial position.

B.C. drivers to get $110 insurance rebate, with rate increases on hold until 2026

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism
Quebec Premier François Legault is defending his comments about a new history museum after he was accused by a prominent First Nations group of trying to erase their history.

Quebec premier defends new museum on Québécois nation after Indigenous criticism

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken
The president of London Drugs has issued a letter apologizing for a cybersecurity incident that forced the company to close stores for more than a week, but he says there's no evidence customer databases were compromised.

London Drugs president says, no customer data taken

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response
Another barge went adrift in Vancouver's English Bay, prompting a quick response from the Canadian Coast Guard.

Another barge adrift in Vancouver prompts speedy coast guard response