Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site
The mayor of Vancouver says the city is disappointed about the new location of an overdose prevention site in the downtown core. Ken Sim says in a news release that the city was not consulted on the relocation of Thomus Donaghy OPS to Howe Street, and the site should have been moved to the nearby St. Paul’s Hospital instead.

Vancouver mayor disappointed by new location for overdose prevention site

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days
One person has been injured in a shooting in Vancouver's downtown core, the second such incident in the area in less than a week. Vancouver police say officers responded to reports of shots fired at around 7:50 p.m. Wednesday, and found a person with serious injuries.

One person hurt in second Vancouver shooting within days

Hit and run in Victoria

Hit and run in Victoria
Police in Victoria are looking for a suspect who drove a stolen vehicle into a residence, causing significant property damage before fleeing the scene. Police say a resident from the home reported the crash on March 25, and investigators could not find the suspect despite help from a police dog unit.  

Hit and run in Victoria

B.C. man convicted of child exploitation for involvement in international porn ring

B.C. man convicted of child exploitation for involvement in international porn ring
A British Columbia man has been convicted for his involvement in an international online group dedicated to trafficking child pornography. The province's RCMP division says in a release that 34-year-old Joel Andy Daigle from Surrey was charged with child exploitation in April 2020 and has been sentenced to an 18-month conditional term to be served in the community.

B.C. man convicted of child exploitation for involvement in international porn ring

Lamborghini 'joyride' by 13-year-old ends in total writeoff: West Vancouver police

Lamborghini 'joyride' by 13-year-old ends in total writeoff: West Vancouver police
Police in West Vancouver say a “joyride” by a 13-year-old in a Lamborghini set off a single-vehicle crash that resulted in a total writeoff by the insurance company. Police say in a news release issued Wednesday that they were called to a report of a crash last week and found the Lamborghini Huracan badly damaged in a ditch.

Lamborghini 'joyride' by 13-year-old ends in total writeoff: West Vancouver police

Woman found dead in South Vancouver

Woman found dead in South Vancouver
Police say a woman has been found dead in south Vancouver. An investigation is now underway in an area near the Fraserview Golf Course. 

Woman found dead in South Vancouver