Saturday, February 21, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging
The United Kingdom is hitting the brakes on trade talks with Canada after Ottawa decided not to extend temporary measures put in place after Brexit. London announced the pause in negotiations Thursday less than a month before the ninth round of talks towards a permanent trade deal was scheduled to take place.  

U.K. suspends trade negotiations with Canada, each accuses the other of not budging

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested
R-C-M-P say a suspect in a fatal shooting in Surrey in 2022 has been arrested in Ontario. Police say a 20-year-old woman and a 24-year-old man were injured in the February 2022 shooting, and the man -- Juvraj Jabal of Surrey -- later died in hospital   

Suspect in Surrey shooting arrested

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours
A power line that fell over Highway 99 in Surrey, B.C., cut off a key route to and from the U.S. Peace Arch Border Crossing for nearly three hours on Thursday. BC Hydro, the Crown power utility, says a vehicle crashed into a power pole, bringing the line down across both directions of the highway.   

B.C. power line cut access to Highway 99 to and from U.S. border for hours

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns
In the heart of Surrey's bustling business district, a sense of unease has settled following a series of alarming incidents that have gripped the community. The seemingly business-as-usual surroundings of the Payal Business Centre, home to a myriad of South Asian businesses, have been marred by a recent surge in criminal activities, raising concerns among residents and entrepreneurs alike.

Community in Crisis A Surge in Local Crime and Safety Concerns

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General
Public Safety has been an ongoing topic in the news with the recent spate of gun violence South of the Fraser. In Darpan 10, Public Safety Minister and Solicitor General for BC, The Honourable Mike Farnworth sheds light on crime, Surrey RCMP vs SPS saga, and the future of policing in Surrey. 

Darpan 10 With Honourable Mike Farnworth, Minister Of Public Safety And Solicitor General

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand
Earlier this year, there were an unprecedented 1.9 million visits to food banks in Canada. This is a 32% increase from 2022 and a 78% increase since before the pandemic. Unsurprisingly, food banks are approaching 2024 with growing concerns as the sustained increase in demand places additional strain on their resources and capacities.

Hunger on the Rise Canadian Food Banks in High Demand