Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence
British Columbia has announced a new three-year action plan that it says aims to end stigma around gender-based violence and ensure access to supports. The plan includes building more housing for women and children leaving violence, expanding cell service to make travel safer, and adding 75 new sexual assault support programs -- 22 of which are specifically for Indigenous women.  

B.C. announces new three-year action plan to address gender-based violence

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political
The mayor of Alberta's largest city says she won't attend the annual menorah lighting ceremony to mark the beginning of Hanukkah because she believes it's too political, but her decision led to a backlash from the Jewish community and Conservative politicians. Calgary Mayor Jyoti Gondek posted a statement on the social media site X, formerly known as Twitter, saying Thursday's ceremony at city hall has been repositioned as an event to support Israel.

Calgary mayor says she won't attend Hanukkah ceremony because it's too political

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed
The oil and gas industry will have to cut emissions by more than one-third within seven years or buy offset credits under a new federal policy. A cap on emisisons from the fossil fuel sector had been promised by the Liberals since the 2021 election, but the announcement Thursday spelled out exactly how much the government will ask the industry to cut.

Oil, gas emissions to be cut more than one-third by 2030 but offset credits allowed

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double
The Public Health Agency of Canada says the death toll has risen to five in a salmonella outbreak linked to Malichita and Rudy brand cantaloupes. It says 129 people have been confirmed with salmonella linked to the outbreak, almost double the number at the last update on Dec. 1, when a single death had been recorded.

Death toll rises to five in cantaloupe salmonella outbreak, as cases almost double

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November
It was a busy month for Kelowna R-C-M-P officers as they dealt with a slew of speeding drivers in November. The Mounties say they handed out 80 speeding tickets last month.  

Speeding blitz in Kelowna issues 80 tickets in November

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay
8 people are facing trafficking charges after a lengthy investigation in Courtenay. Comox Valley R-C-M-P say two units collaborated to specifically target drug traffickers in Courtenay's downtown.

8 people are facing drug trafficking charges in Courtenay