Sunday, February 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 27 Nov, 2024 12:01 PM
  • Federal government will not send Canada Post strike to arbitration, minister says

The federal government says it is not planning to intervene to resolve the labour dispute at Canada Post, even with less than a month to go before Christmas.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Labour Minister Steven MacKinnon said sending the matter to binding arbitration "is not in the cards," even though he invoked that authority only a few weeks ago to resolve the ports dispute and a few months ago to resolve the rail dispute.

"Every dispute is different, but here the issues are fundamental. The issues are around a transformed business model for the corporation," MacKinnon said in French.

"It's not a secret to anyone that Canada Post is built to deliver letters. But Canadians don't send many letters anymore. It has to be transformed into a business that, yes, delivers letters in a sustainable way, but also a business that delivers parcels in a profitable way."

MacKinnon also said sending the matter to arbitration is more complicated than it was in previous labour disputes given those fundamental issues.

"It is difficult to envisage a situation where you could find an arbitrator who could adequately cover the issues that are at hand. These are differences of vision currently at the table that are hard to bridge using conventional arbitration," MacKinnon said.

"While I would never rule out any option in the future, what I would say right now and for the foreseeable future is if this agreement does not come together at the table, there will be no end to this labour conflict."

In a statement posted to X on Wednesday morning, MacKinnon said the special mediator appointed to help end the labour dispute reported the two sides are too far apart on critical issues for mediation to be of any use.

As such, mediation has been temporarily suspended, and MacKinnon summoned both sides to his office in Ottawa. He said the message is the two sides are responsible for the consequences of the dispute, which has stalled mail and parcel delivery since Nov. 15.

MacKinnon said negotiations "have not budged" even with eight days under the special mediator.

Around 55,000 workers are on the picket line calling for a "fair wage" and better working conditions, which Canada Post insists will add heavy costs and create inflexibility in the postal service.

"Obviously, there are small businesses and others who are being affected by this labour conflict," MacKinnon told reporters, adding he isn't happy with the situation.

Asked how he can reconcile with small business owners, given how the government has handled other labour disputes in recent months, MacKinnon said the government is "acting with every possible tool in the tool kit to bring an end to this dispute."

"But this dispute belongs to the parties, and the parties need to find a solution."

Last week, Canada Post reported a loss of $315 million before tax in the third quarter of 2024. It attributed the loss to a 0.6 per cent drop in parcels compared to the same period in 2023, representing six million pieces.

MORE National ARTICLES

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year
Private-sector forecasters in British Columbia say they agree with the government's recent projection that economic growth will slow next year. The Economic Forecast Council, an independent 13-member group, met Finance Minister Katrine Conroy on Monday and told her they foresee 0.5-per-cent growth in 2024, slightly below Conroy's recent forecast of 0.7 per cent.

Private forecasters see economic growth in B.C. slowing to 0.5 per cent next year

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care
Eby says the model addresses people who repeatedly overdose in a way that respects their ability to make their own decisions and avoids the risk that they won't call for help if they think they might be held against their will.

B.C. Premier Eby celebrates 'first-of-its-kind' seamless addictions care

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza
Canada has negotiated with Israel and Egypt to get approximately 600 people through the Rafah border crossing between Gaza and Egypt, as of the last update from Global Affairs. The only people who qualify are Canadians, Canadian permanent residents and people who meet the government's strict definition of an eligible family member, though there have been exceptions.

Calls intensify for Canada to bring extended family of Canadians safely out of Gaza

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock
Mounties in White Rock confirm shots were fired in the city earlier today. No injuries were reported, but police say they suspect the shooting was targeted. Police are investigating a motive.

Targeted shooting early Monday morning in White Rock

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO
Industry Minister François-Philippe Champagne announced this fall that Canada's major grocers — Loblaw, Metro, Empire, Walmart and Costco — had shared plans to tackle rising prices that included discounts, price freezes and price-matching campaigns. However, questions swirled about what exactly the grocers promised, given the details of the plans were not being shared publicly.

Canada's grocery retail sector one of the most competitive on Earth: Sobeys CEO

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions
Vancouver’s fire department is showing off what the city says is Canada’s first electric fire engine.  The Austrian-built pumper truck is part of the city’s commitment to reduce fleet emissions by moving to electric vehicles when they need to be replaced. Vancouver Mayor Ken Sim says the fire engine represents an important milestone and the city is proud to be the first in Canada to lead the way with its firefighting fleet. 

Vancouver unveils Canada's first electric fire truck in its pledge to cut emissions