Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 23 Oct, 2025 10:11 AM
  • Federal, Ontario governments contributing $3B to small nuclear reactor project

The federal and Ontario governments are putting a total of $3 billion toward a project to build four small nuclear reactors in the Greater Toronto Area.

Prime Minister Mark Carney has added the Darlington New Nuclear Project to his list of projects deemed to be in the national interest and therefore worthy of fast tracking.

He and Premier Doug Ford were at the site east of Toronto on Thursday to announce that their governments are contributing $2 billion and $1 billion, respectively, from the Canada Growth Fund and the Building Ontario Fund.

Carney said it will make Canada the first country in the G7 to have this new kind of nuclear reactor.

"(It is) a generational investment, an investment that will extend Canada's world leadership in clean energy," he said. "We are an energy superpower, and we are only getting stronger."

Ontario Power Generation has said the entire project should cost about $21 billion.

The Canadian Nuclear Safety Commission granted OPG a licence to construct the first of the four SMRs earlier this year and construction began in the spring. It is expected to come online in 2030.

Once all four SMRs are up and running, they will produce 1,200 megawatts of electricity, enough to power 1.2 million homes. They are expected to operate for 65 years and the province predicts the project will create 18,000 jobs, including 3,700 highly skilled jobs.

Ford stressed that 80 per cent of the spending on the entire project will go to Ontario companies.

"We're using Ontario products at every opportunity so that Ontario tax dollars support Ontario workers," he said.

"That includes using steel made here in the province, by Ontario steelworkers, to build the new SMRs. With tariffs and economic uncertainty hammering Ontario's workers and businesses, this is exactly the sort of investment our province needs."

Picture Courtesy: THE CANADIAN PRESS/Cole Burston

MORE National ARTICLES

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists
Much of British Columbia is thawing to seasonal temperatures, although arctic outflow warnings remain in place for some parts of the province. Environment Canada says an arctic air mass is bringing strong winds through the Whistler Valley and wind-chill values near -20 C while snow remains in Metro Vancouver, where temperatures are still below freezing.

Arctic outflow, extreme cold warnings still up in parts of B.C. and cold persists

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children
Police say an East Abbotsford daycare owner has been charged with allegedly assaulting children in her care. Abbotsford Police say officers launched an investigation into reports that the 60-year-old had assaulted children in October.

Abbotsford daycare owner charged with six counts of assaulting children

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites
A Vancouver Island doctor involved in setting up unsanctioned overdose prevention sites has resigned from her positions with Island Health, claiming she was placed on leave as punishment for her public advocacy work. Dr. Jess Wilder, a co-founder of the group Doctors for Safer Drug Policy, says in a resignation letter dated Feb. 5 that she's leaving her positions with Island Health "immediately." 

B.C. addictions doctor resigns, placed on leave over unsanctioned overdose sites

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec
Two new polls suggest Quebecers are feeling pretty good about their relationship with Canada these days. Between December and February, the share of Quebecers who said they were "very proud" or "proud" to be Canadian increased 13 points from 45 per cent to 58 per cent, according to an Angus Reid poll conducted online Sunday and Monday.

Canadian pride is on the rise in wake of Trump's tariff threat - especially in Quebec

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k
Police in Ontario say they are looking for a man who is alleged to have swindled nearly a dozen victims across Canada in a romance scam. Peel Regional Police say 11 victims from Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and Saskatchewan lost a total of $275,000 in the alleged scam.

Police seek suspect in alleged Canada-wide romance scam that cost victims $275k

Liberal leadership candidate Karina Gould says party made it 'hard' to run

Liberal leadership candidate Karina Gould says party made it 'hard' to run
Liberal leadership candidate Karina Gould says her campaign is doing everything it can to remain in the race, despite not having deep pockets like her main rivals. Candidates have to pay a $125,000 fee by Friday to remain in the race, and a total entry fee of $350,000.

Liberal leadership candidate Karina Gould says party made it 'hard' to run