Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources
Premier David Eby told a news conference Thursday that the forecast that calls for the additional 3,000 gigawatt hours per year of renewable energy is three years earlier than previously estimated.

BC Hydro set to start first hunt in 15 years for new electricity sources

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver
Mental Health and Addictions Minister Jennifer Whiteside says 18 of the beds have been added at the Phoenix Society in Surrey and six at the Covenant House in Vancouver. The beds in Surrey are for men in the province between 17 and 24-years old -- with an average stay of three to six months. 

Province opens new substance-use treatment beds Surrey & Vancouver

One person killed in Quesnel

One person killed in Quesnel
R-C-M-P in British Columbia are investigating after one person was killed in a crash involving a semi trailer and a pickup truck. The incident happened yesterday afternoon about 35 kilometres south of Quesnel.  

One person killed in Quesnel

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba
Assistant Commissioner Rob Hill, the commanding officer of Manitoba's RCMP, said Thursday the crash happened at the intersection of highways 1 and 5 near Carberry, about two hours south of Dauphin.

RCMP say 15 dead after bus carrying seniors collides with semi truck Manitoba

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing
On November 22nd of last year at approximately 12:08 p.m., the Surrey RCMP responded to a report of a stabbing outside of Tamanawis Secondary School. Officers located an 18-year old, later identified as Mehakpreet Sethi of Surrey, suffering life-threatening injuries. On Wednesday, as a result of advancements in the ongoing investigation, IHIT arrested a 17 year old suspect in relation to the murder of Mr. Sethi.  

Arrest made in Surrey stabbing

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines
A statement on the S-F-U website says pickets were at several locations and it advised students with classes or labs in any of the affected buildings to check with their instructors or teaching assistants about possible disruptions.

Burnaby's SFU campus behind picket lines