Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet
Kevin Kaardal, the superintendent of Central Okanagan Public Schools in Kelowna, B.C., says in a statement that staff at the regional track and field meet last week intervened and eventually moved the girl's event across the field.

B.C. school district bans man who queried gender of girl, 9, at track meet

Speeding car flees a traffic stop

Speeding car flees a traffic stop
West Shore R-C-M-P say on June 10, officers in Metchosin near Victoria stopped two cars, including one travelling at almost double the speed limit. The over-speeding car initially pulled over but then fled from the scene, striking an officer in the leg and resulting in minor injuries from which the officer is expected to recover.

Speeding car flees a traffic stop

Ban on open fires

Ban on open fires
The Surrey Fire Service says incidents of reported brush and grass fires have trended higher in recent years, with last year seeing more than 525 incidents between May and November.

Ban on open fires

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police
Delta Police say they have arrested three suspects who stole multiple catalytic converters from vehicles in the city. Police say officers made the arrest on June 8 after observing the suspects stealing a catalytic converter.

3 arrested for catalytic converter theft: Delta Police

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing
New Westminster Police and Metro Vancouver Transit Police say two youth, ages 16 and 17, have been charged with aggravated assault, assault with a weapon and robbery.

Two youth arrested in Skytrain stabbing

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt
Witnesses indicated a white Toyota Tacoma had crashed into a concrete block, which caused the block to strike another vehicle legally parked at the location. The pick-up truck then reversed and collided with a wooden pallet holding construction materials.

Burnaby collision at construction site leaves 1 hurt