Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar
Suleiman is South Asian, 6 feet tall, and has a slim build. He has short black hair and a black beard with a mustache. He was last seen wearing a blue button-down shirt over a white t-shirt, black jeans and black shoes with white soles.

VPD searches for missing man Suleiman Khawar

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study
Snowmelt serves as the primary water resource in western mountain regions, the study says. The ranges store snow throughout the winter, which then melts during spring and summer months when demand for water peaks.

Early snowmelt in Western mountains means drier summers, more wildfire risk: study

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year
A statement from police says a 22-year-old man and a 30-year-old woman were arrested Friday and charged in the death of 41-year-old Chad Colivas. The man has been charged with second degree murder, while the woman has been charged with manslaughter in the March 2022 shooting death.

Man and woman charged in shooting death of Abbotsford man last year

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end
Police in Vancouver are investigating a fatal stabbing in a busy neighbourhood Saturday night. They say officers responded to reports that a man had been stabbed near the intersection of Davie and Bute streets in the city's west end just before 10 p.m.

Vancouver police investigating fatal stabbing in city's west end

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead
Police say multiple people called to report the shooting outside a south Vancouver banquet hall near Fraser Street and Southeast Marine Drive at 1:30 a.m. Sunday. They say officers performed CPR on the man until paramedics arrived, but he died from his injuries.

Shooting outside a South Vancouver banquet hall leaves 28 year old man dead

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam
A dozen new affordable and accessible rental homes have opened in Coquitlam. The Housing Ministry says the 12 units are part of a new 25-storey, 189-unit apartment tower.  

Affordable homes open in Coquitlam