Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat
The Peace River Regional District has cancelled orders issued last week affecting properties threatened by the Stoddart Creek fire northeast of Fort St. John. The River Forecast Centre has posted flood watches for much of east-central B.C., from the Peace River area to the Kootenay, Boundary and Okanagan areas.

All evacuation orders lifted in northeastern B.C. as rain dampens wildfire threat

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches
The board says Sunset Beach, Spanish Banks West and Second Beach were all without lifeguards on Sunday and Monday. It says the shortage also resulted in limited drop-in spots at city-owned pools at New Brighton and Second Beach.   

Shortage of lifeguards at Vancouver beaches

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary
The RCMP has planned events Tuesday and throughout the year that the national police force says are meant to demonstrate pride, but also humility and efforts at reconciliation.

RCMP to reflect on painful history as Canada's police service on 150th anniversary

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'
A 37-year-old man was shot in the city's Burke Mountain neighbourhood while sitting at an outside table in a "heavily populated shopping plaza" on David Avenue and Coast Meridian Road.

B.C. RCMP expand search for suspect in targeted shooting in 'highly populated area'

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

BC Ferries tackles IT issue
The ferry corporation says it quickly identified the issue hours after the outage and provided scheduling updates on Twitter throughout Monday morning until the afternoon when the system came back online. 

BC Ferries tackles IT issue

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale
Police in Chilliwack say a 29 year old man is in police custody following a high risk incident in which shots were allegedly fired at police. The call to shelter in place has been cancelled and an "active, ongoing, high-risk police incident" that began Monday night has been resolved.

Police in Chilliwack cancel shelter-in-place alert for residents near Skowkale