Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George
Police say they found a vehicle last Friday that had been reported as stolen the day before. Inside, officers found a Panasonic Toughbook, two laptops, a metal detector, three satellite phones, a Sony P-S Vita and a cellphone.  

Stolen items found inside vehicle in Prince George

Serial groper arrested

Serial groper arrested
Between April 27th and 29th, four women reported being sexually assaulted while walking through neighbourhoods around B-C Place and Rogers Arena. Police released a photo of a suspect yesterday and, following a tip from the public, a man was arrested in East Vancouver this morning.

Serial groper arrested

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street
Vancouver city council has approved changes to zoning in select areas of the Cambie Street corridor that it says will make it easier and faster to build up to 16-hundred townhouses. This change will allow applicants to proceed directly to a development permit application for townhouses in the approved areas.  

City of Vancouver approves zoning changes for Cambie Street

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified
The 58-year-old male suspect has been released on conditions, including no contact with the victim and not to be in the presence of anyone under the age of 16-year-old without another adult present. The suspect is an employee at the temple, and the employer has been advised of the allegations and the conditions of his release.

Suspect in Gurudwara sexual assault identified

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today
British Columbians need to be ready for a startling tone on their cellphones when a test of the national emergency alert system is blared out this afternoon. The alert will go to all compatible cellphones and will interrupt radio and television broadcasts at 1:55 p-m Pacific time.

BC Emergency Alert on cellphones today

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment
The Township of Langley says it wants its own RCMP detachment and plans to stop sharing policing resources with the City of Langley. The township's council voted to begin the process, which the mayor says could take up to four years.

Township of Langley wants own RCMP detachment