Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing
Vancouver police arrested 25-year-old Mohammed Cortes Torres on Sunday. Police say Cortes Torres was a Surrey resident at the time of the homicide but more recently stayed on Vancouver Island.

2nd degree murder charge for suspect in South Vancouver stabbing

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home
Corporal Bryan Mulrooney says evidence found at the home points to a sophisticated illegal cigarette trafficking operation. The Mounties are recommending charges against one man. 

30-thousand packs of illegal cigarettes found at a West Kelowna home

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant
The government highlighted the future-ready plan in its budget earlier this year, saying it is a response to one of the biggest challenges facing B.C. businesses, which is access to more skilled workers. A 10-year labour market outlook for B.C. has forecasted there will be more than a million job openings in the province. 

B.C. skills plan looks to future jobs, changing economy, includes $3,500 grant

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers
Families minister Karina Gould says the job action did not create a significant backlog, as the federal government received only about 20 per cent of the typical volume of passport applications during the strike.

Expect long passport lineups this week, post-strike immigration backlog: ministers

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board
The B.C. board says sales for the month totalled 2,741, almost 16 per cent below the 10-year seasonal average. The composite benchmark price for all residential properties in Metro Vancouver hit $1,170,700 last month, down 7.4 per cent from a year ago but up 2.4 per cent from March.

Vancouver's April home sales down 16.5% from a year ago: board

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say
The Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre in Victoria says it sent the Canadian Coast Guard to the area to join the search for the missing men Sunday morning. It says they were found and recovered about six hours later, around 1 p-m.

Two men dead after boating incident off B.C. coast, RCMP say