Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Trudeau says government making 'serious offers' to end public service strike

Trudeau says government making 'serious offers' to end public service strike
More than 100,000 members of the Public Service Alliance of Canada walked off the job 10 days ago and while talks have continued on and off since then, there is still no imminent sign of a deal.

Trudeau says government making 'serious offers' to end public service strike

BC SPCA promoting National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day

BC SPCA promoting National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day
Any British Columbians looking for a new fur friends from the province's S-P-C-A branches can get 50 per cent off adoption fees between now and Sunday. The promotion is to mark National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day.

BC SPCA promoting National Adopt A Shelter Pet Day

B.C. nurses ratify new three-year collective agreement

B.C. nurses ratify new three-year collective agreement
The BC Nurses' Union says 61 per cent of its members voted in favour of the new deal, which also includes improvements in job flexibility and access to leaves, and investments in workplace health and safety.

B.C. nurses ratify new three-year collective agreement

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today
Global Affairs Canada says more than 100 Canadians still in Sudan have asked for the government's help to get out. Vice-Admiral Bob Auchterlonie, commander of the Canadian Joint Operations Command, says the military will continue evacuations as long as they can.

The first 2 Canadian-operated evacuation planes left the capital of Sudan today

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam
Police say the app she was using was a fake made to look legitimate and when she realized she couldn't withdraw money, the fraudster disappeared. Police say the victim was then contacted by someone else who said he could help get her money back and threatened her until she sent more in what turned out to be a second scam.

Police issue warning after B.C. senior loses $7.5 million in cryptocurrency scam

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon
Public Safety Minister Mike Farnworth is set to announce tomorrow whether the R-C-M-P or a municipal police service will be responsible for policing the city. Mayor Brenda Locke says the transition back to R-C-M-P will be less expensive than changing the police service.

Not able to support policing decision due to lack of data: Kevin Falcon