Tuesday, February 17, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide
Police were called to a home in Fort St. James on February 25th last year. Thirty-six year old John Lazare was found dead from a gunshot wound and investigators said at the time that the attack was targeted and there was no risk to the public.

Charges laid in Fort St.James homicide

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre
It's expected construction will begin next year -- with completion set for 2026 -- and Frost says the theatre, which she describes as a "jewel among Vancouver's spectacular venues," will host a wide variety of music and culture events.   

PNE reveals plans for new amphitheatre

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike
More than 100-thousand federal employees have been on strike since last Wednesday, demanding improved wages, benefits and more opportunties to work from home. Treasury Board officials and the union continue to meet but a statement from the union says there has been no progress on key issues.

Vancouver's passport office behind picket lines due to federal strike

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash
Highway 1 through the Fraser Valley has reopened after one person died in a crash involving several commercial vehicles. Police say it happened yesterday afternoon in the eastbound lanes just west of Hope.

One person dead in Hwy 1 Fraser Valley crash

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw
“Everyone was so happy!” The Surrey resident purchased and validated the winning ticket at the lottery kiosk at Scottsdale Centre in Delta. Khangura plans to bring her family to Mexico for a vacation. 

Taljinder Khangura of Surrey wins $500,000 in Lotto 6/49 draw

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO
Bridgitte Anderson hosted a roundtable discussion Tuesday headlined by German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier. The discussion included about 20 delegates from both Germany and Canada.

Germany president's visit creates rare opportunity for business: Greater Vancouver Board of Trade CEO