Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Driver flees after crashing Lamborghini into retaining wall of a residence: North Van RCMP

Driver flees after crashing Lamborghini into retaining wall of a residence: North Van RCMP
It is alleged the Lamborghini lost control and crashed into the retaining wall of a residence. The driver fled prior to Police arrival. Police have since spoken to the owner of the vehicle and launched an investigation into the actions of the driver. 

Driver flees after crashing Lamborghini into retaining wall of a residence: North Van RCMP

Largest Vaisakhi parade back in Surrey after 3 years, attended by an estimated 700,000

Largest Vaisakhi parade back in Surrey after 3 years, attended by an estimated 700,000
Canada’s largest Vaisakhi Parade outside of Punjab, India  took place on April 22 in Surrey, and was attended by approximately 700,000 people. The colorful and vibrant community event saw volunteers and local businesses enthusiastically handing out treats and food and were at forefront of making the parade a successful event.   

Largest Vaisakhi parade back in Surrey after 3 years, attended by an estimated 700,000

Transit association says more police, security needed on city buses, trains

Transit association says more police, security needed on city buses, trains
This month in British Columbia, a 17-year-old boy riding public transit was fatally stabbed near Vancouver and a man on a Surrey-area bus was left with life-threatening issues from a throat slash. 

Transit association says more police, security needed on city buses, trains

Man arrested after attack on a SkyTrain passenger in Surrey earlier this month

Man arrested after attack on a SkyTrain passenger in Surrey earlier this month
Officers are recommending a charge of assault with a weapon and one count of possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose. Police say a man and his girlfriend were on SkyTrain at about 1 a.m. on April 15th when they say the suspect stabbed and injured the man. 

Man arrested after attack on a SkyTrain passenger in Surrey earlier this month

German plane airlifts 58 Canadians out of Sudan as Canadian plane readies for more

German plane airlifts 58 Canadians out of Sudan as Canadian plane readies for more
Global Affairs Canada has provided very little information on efforts to get Canadian citizens, or even its own staff, out of Sudan. But Prime Minister Justin Trudeau provided a limited update Monday afternoon at a photo-op with German President Frank-Walter Steinmeier in Ottawa.

German plane airlifts 58 Canadians out of Sudan as Canadian plane readies for more

Public service union to picket at locations with more impact as strike enters Day 6

Public service union to picket at locations with more impact as strike enters Day 6
The Public Service Alliance of Canada says more than 100,000 of its staff remain on strike, some of whom are expected to move their picket lines Monday to strategic locations more likely to have an impact on the federal government.   

Public service union to picket at locations with more impact as strike enters Day 6