Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend
Drivers are reminded that the Pattullo Bridge between Surrey and New Westminster will be closed in both directions starting on Thursday, April 6, at 10 p.m. and reopening on Tuesday, April 11, at 5 a.m. Drivers should take the Port Mann or Alex Fraser bridges as alternate routes. 

Pattullo Bridge closed for Easter long weekend

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges
On March 3rd of last year police were contacted about allegations involving a man and a child victim whom the accused had initially met online, and later met in-person. On March 9th,  following an extensive investigation, 39-year-old Adam Joseph Woolacott of Burnaby was charged with various sexual offences. 

39 year old Burnaby man facing 9 child sex related charges

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee
The man, who had unfortunately lost money to a so-called grandparent scam last summer, received a phone call from a person claiming to work for Burnaby RCMP Victim Services who said she could help him recover the lost funds. The scammer verbally provided the legitimate Burnaby RCMP Victim Services phone number to the senior as a callback number.

Burnaby RCMP issues public warning after phone scammer poses as Victim Services employee

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer
Mulroney, 84, was prime minister from 1984 to 1993, as leader of the Progressive Conservatives. While in office he negotiated the first free trade agreement with the U.S., which later became NAFTA.

Former PM Brian Mulroney has prostate cancer

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour
A ministry statement says the wage increase matches B.C.'s 2022 average inflation rate and will benefit about 150,000 workers, most of them food service staff, grocery store workers, retail workers and others who were essential workers during the pandemic.

B.C. to boost minimum wage to $16.75 an hour

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking
Trudeau says it's heartbreaking that discoveries like these continue to happen. The Winnipeg homicide unit says it started an investigation after staff at the Brady Road landfill south of the city found the body of 33-year-old Linda Mary Beardy on Monday.

Trudeau calls landfill discovery heartbreaking