Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police
Officers learned that the child had become entangled in the garage door and had suffered injuries. A heroic neighbour heard the mother in distress and rushed to free the child who was unable to free themself from the moving parts of the garage door.

Child becomes entangled in garage door: New Westminster Police

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park
The officers were on patrol Saturday afternoon when they were called around 4 p.m. to check on a man who was yelling, swearing, and making families feel unsafe near the playground at Second Beach. Shortly after the officers arrived, the man turned on them. He attacked the constables and caused injures to their faces and heads.

2 VPD officers attacked in Stanley Park

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister
CEO Trent Vichie said in an interview Monday all signs point to bringing the US$1 billion first phase to fruition by 2025, producing 220,000 tonnes of ammonia annually. Phase 2, with another US$5-billion investment, will increase production to one million tonnes and add an onshore wind farm by the end of 2026.

Hydrogen projects on track for 2025 goal: minister

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug
Peter Casimir is known to have also used the alias of Jake Maserski. Investigators continue to seek any additional information the public may have with respect to knowledge of the Ikea area rug and its origin.

Murder of a Kamloops man associated to bloody Ikea rug

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok
The school says in a statement issued last week that the app is one of UBC’s fastest-growing social media platforms, used by students, staff and faculty for entertainment, research, outreach and recruitment.    

UBC encourages students to uninstall TikTok

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'
Five families from Egypt claim the CBSA's actions are fuelled by "Islamophobia" and information provided by the Egyptian government, which is leading Canada to withhold protection and causing severe "distress and trauma."

Egyptian asylum seekers decry CBSA 'Islamophobia'