Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Multiple people pepper sprayed at a movie theatre in Guildford, Surrey on Saturday

Multiple people pepper sprayed at a movie theatre in Guildford, Surrey on Saturday
The incident occurred at 5:28 p.m. in theatre 6 where approximately 20-30 people, including children, were watching a movie. The male suspect entered the theater, sprayed viewers and fled the scene. 

Multiple people pepper sprayed at a movie theatre in Guildford, Surrey on Saturday

Statue of Mahatma Gandhi at SFU damaged in vandalism act: Burnaby RCMP

Statue of Mahatma Gandhi at SFU damaged in vandalism act: Burnaby RCMP
The Mounties were contacted around 8:30 p.m. on Monday, after someone noticed the statue had been vandalized, with the head having been removed. It is not yet known when the vandalism happened. It’s believed a power tool was likely used.    

Statue of Mahatma Gandhi at SFU damaged in vandalism act: Burnaby RCMP

Democrats, GOP spar over Canada-U.S. border

Democrats, GOP spar over Canada-U.S. border
In a subcommittee hearing on Capitol Hill, House Republicans fanned the flames of an emerging fire-and-brimstone narrative about a "metastasizing crisis" of irregular migration along the world's longest international frontier.

Democrats, GOP spar over Canada-U.S. border

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending
To alleviate the pressure of rising grocery prices, the federal government has extended the GST rebate boost offered in the fall. The rebate, which will go to lower income Canadians, will deliver up to $234 to a single person and up to $467 to a couple with two children.

Federal budget includes $59.5B in new spending

Dental program cost set to more than double

Dental program cost set to more than double
That benefit will be scrapped by June 2024. In its place, Tuesday's budget shows the Liberals are planning a government-administered insurance program, at a cost of $13 billion over five years beginning in fiscal year 2023-24.    

Dental program cost set to more than double

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'
At a March 20 meeting, Smyth took issue with a decision not to livestream advisory committee meetings about an official community plan or release committee members' CVs. Smyth said the move was done in a "very political way," something that was denied by Mayor Peter Jones who said it was a "practical approach" before ending questions.

B.C. councillor resigns, called mayor 'Mr. Hitler'