Wednesday, February 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe
 The report says consulate officials worked to oust then-mayor Kennedy Stewart and elect a new mayor and a certain city councillor. Ongoing concerns about possible foreign interference in the 2019 and 2021 federal elections spurred Prime Minister Justin Trudeau to name former governor general David Johnston to investigate.

Councillor '100%' in support of interference probe

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom
The 21-year-old English student’s remains had been found stuffed in a suitcase in Mission, B.C., and Yang’s identification of her daughter was also confirmed by a police DNA test. More than 20 years later, any sense of closure thatact offered has been torn apart by the claims of Zhao's convicted killer, Ang Li, that he was framed by China's government and Zhao might not be dead at all.

Killer says Amanda Zhao may be alive, enraging mom

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation
The ceremony in Ottawa will be one of several events held over two days as Canada marks the investiture of its new monarch. Trudeau says the Canadian ceremony will acknowledge the special relationship that King Charles has had with Canada over the past 50 years as the Prince of Wales.

Canada to hold special ceremony for coronation

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable
NDP MP Bonita Zarrillo, who is the party's critic for disability inclusion, sent a letter to Finance Minister Chrystia Freeland on Wednesday calling for the change in the upcoming federal budget. Individuals who are supporting a spouse, common-law partner or dependant with a physical or mental impairment can currently claim the credit against the federal taxes they owe.

NDP calls for caregiver credit to be refundable

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead
Police Chief Dale McFee said Const. Travis Jordan, 35, and Const. Brett Ryan, 30, were shot by a man as they entered the building in the city's northwest and approached the suite. McFee said other officers rushed the wounded officers to hospital, where they were pronounced dead.

Suspect in fatal shooting of 2 officers dead

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital
A person in the waiting room alerted hospital security after seeing the man drop a round of ammunition onto the floor. Hospital security contacted the police providing updates to arriving officers. Patrol officers immediately entered the hospital and took the man into custody without incident—a search of the man located a firearm.

Man arrested with a gun at Abbotsford hospital