Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver
The statement from Vancouver police says 34-year-old Jeff Jeanty died in a suspicious fire on Jan. 3, but due to the "sensitive nature" of the investigation, few details could be provided at the time.  The woman, in her 20s with a fair complexion, is described as 5’8” tall, with a small to medium build.      

Photo of homicide suspect released in Vancouver

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized
The investigation resulted in CFSEU-BC executed 13 search warrants between October 13, 2022 and January 23, 2023 in several Peace Region communities and 23 people were arrested and released pending charge approval and the judicial process.     

BC's anti-gang task force results in 23 people arrested and large quantity of drugs, firearms, and cash seized

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police
The 74-year-old victim was standing at a bus stop near Main and Keefer streets at 5:30 a.m. when a stranger walked up behind her and pushed her to the ground. The woman was taken to hospital for non-life-threatening injuries.

Elderly woman pushed to the ground in an unprovoked assault: Vancouver Police

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown
VPD officers, who had been patrolling the area after reports of a group of teens knocking over planters and kicking doors, located the injured victim, then arrested the suspects nearby.    

Three teens charged after man attacked downtown

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police
45 year old Norvie Nativdad of New Westminster has been charged with Possession of Stolen Property Over $5000, Breach of Undertaking Order, Breach of Release Order, and Unauthorized use of credit card. 

Suspected car thief arrested: New Westminster Police

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead
B.C.'s Emergency Management Minister Bowinn Ma says the province reached out to Public Safety Canada on Monday morning, just hours after the quake, because such emergency assistance needs to be co-ordinated.

B.C. rescue team waiting for Turkey quake go-ahead