Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. sets aside some timber supply for value-added

B.C. sets aside some timber supply for value-added
Forests Minister Bruce Ralston says the goal is to build a stronger, more resilient forest industry with value-added products such as mass timber, plywood, veneer, panelling and flooring. The statement says the program will be restricted to those facilities that have minimal or no forestry tenure and are approved as a value-added manufacturer.

B.C. sets aside some timber supply for value-added

Suspect pushed pedestrian to the ground, victim broke arm in the fall: Burnaby RCMP

Suspect pushed pedestrian to the ground, victim broke arm in the fall: Burnaby RCMP
A 29-year-old woman was walking on the sidewalk westbound along Edmonds Street, just before Griffiths Drive, shortly before noon when a man jogging towards her briefly stopped in front of her. The man did not say anything to the victim, but allegedly pushed her with both hands, causing her to fall to the ground.

Suspect pushed pedestrian to the ground, victim broke arm in the fall: Burnaby RCMP

U.S. sticks with 'unjustified' softwood duties: Ng

U.S. sticks with 'unjustified' softwood duties: Ng
A raft of documents filed today by the U.S. Department of Commerce, just the latest in a series of reviews of the dispute, indicates the anti-dumping and countervailing duties aren't going away. The latest combined duty rates — which are preliminary and won't take effect until after a final review expected this summer — range between 7.29 and 9.38 per cent.

U.S. sticks with 'unjustified' softwood duties: Ng

Surrey RCMP need public's help in identifying suspect in groping incident

Surrey RCMP need public's help in identifying suspect in groping incident
On Monday at 10:53 a.m., Mounties responded to a report of a female who had been groped by an unknown suspect near King George Blvd. and 102 Avenue. The suspect is described as a black man, 5’7”, in his mid to late 20s, with a slim build.

Surrey RCMP need public's help in identifying suspect in groping incident

Passport backlog 'virtually eliminated': minister

Passport backlog 'virtually eliminated': minister
Most new passport applications were being processed on time by October, but thousands of people who applied before then still faced excessive delays. Those delays have finally come to an end, Social Development Minister Karina Gould announced Tuesday.    

Passport backlog 'virtually eliminated': minister

Woman stabbed on Toronto streetcar, arrest made

Woman stabbed on Toronto streetcar, arrest made
Toronto police say a woman was stabbed in the head and face while riding a streetcar in the city today and another woman has been arrested in the case. They say police received a call around 2 p.m. for a stabbing on a streetcar near Spadina Avenue and Sussex Avenue and found a woman in her 20s suffering from multiple stab wounds.

Woman stabbed on Toronto streetcar, arrest made