Monday, February 16, 2026
ADVT 
National

Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 07 Sep, 2023 10:51 AM
  • Federal prediction says parts of Canada could see wildfires through winter

The latest federal government forecast says Canada's already unprecedented 2023 wildfire season could continue late into the fall or winter.

Energy and Natural Resources Minister Jonathan Wilkinson says there is potential for increased wildland fire activity from eastern Alberta through to central Ontario at least until the end of this month, while fires in B.C. and the Northwest Territories will continue to smoulder.

Although fall brings cooler nights and fewer lightning storms, a government statement says ongoing warm and dry weather could contribute to new fire starts, and mean some existing large fires could remain active for months.

Wilkinson also announced $65 million in federal funding for wildfire equipment and other supports for British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Nova Scotia, Yukon and Northwest Territories.

He says B.C. and the Northwest Territories have signed deals to receive their full allotments under Ottawa's wildfire and equipment fund, amounting to $28.5 million for the territory and $32 million for B.C.

The statement says the Fighting and Managing Wildfires in a Changing Climate fund will provide $256 million to provinces and territories through to 2027.

The six newly announced agreements are the first under the program, with Wilkinson saying the cash will be used for life-saving equipment and important contracting.

"This means more resources and more boots on the ground in our fight against these intense and dangerous wildfires," Wilkinson says in the statement.

The Natural Resources Canada fund allows provinces and territories to cost-share investments for equipment, such as vehicles, mobile units, avionics parts and upgrades, hoses, pumps, enhanced communications equipment, the repair of aging equipment and training, the government statement says.

MORE National ARTICLES

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran
The B.C. Prosecution Service announced in a statement Thursday that the charge laid against Colin Basran last October has been dropped. The service says special prosecutor Brock Martland was appointed to the investigation of a sexual assault alleged to have happened in May 2022, when Basran was the sitting mayor. 

Sex assault charge dropped against former Kelowna mayor Colin Basran

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada
Daqwan Roshayne Howard Lee, 28, was arrested on Monday and charged with first-degree murder, aggravated assault and discharging a firearm with intent, Edmonton police said. Police said Barinder Singh and his daughter were "innocent victims of a wrongly targeted crime".

Second accused charged for shooting Sikh man to death in Canada

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP
Through investigation it was determined that the person who uttered the fraudulent bank drafts was utilizing another person’s identity. The suspect is described as a South Asian female, 5’7", slim build, with shoulder length dark hair. She spoke Hindi, Punjabi and English.  

Fraud suspect on the loose: Surrey RCMP

Woman injured in Manitoba bus crash dies in hospital, bringing death toll to 16

Woman injured in Manitoba bus crash dies in hospital, bringing death toll to 16
A woman injured in last week's crash between a minibus and a transport truck in Manitoba has died in hospital, bringing the death toll to 16. RCMP said the woman, who had been in hospital since the crash, died Tuesday.

Woman injured in Manitoba bus crash dies in hospital, bringing death toll to 16

Police say fiery collision on major GTA highway leaves 2 dead, shuts down traffic

Police say fiery collision on major GTA highway leaves 2 dead, shuts down traffic
OPP Sgt. Kerry Schmidt said there was a collision involving two transport trucks and a passenger vehicle on a part of the highway going through Pickering, Ont., which resulted in an explosion and fire that consumed all three vehicles 

Police say fiery collision on major GTA highway leaves 2 dead, shuts down traffic

Police arrest 45, seize 440 weapons in Canada-wide raids targeting 3D-printed guns

Police arrest 45, seize 440 weapons in Canada-wide raids targeting 3D-printed guns
Police carried out 64 raids and seized 440 guns, including 3D-printed handguns, long guns and silencers, as well as other guns and 3D printers. The raids took place in Quebec, Ontario, Alberta, British Columbia, New Brunswick, Nova Scotia, Manitoba and Saskatchewan, and resulted in 45 arrests.

Police arrest 45, seize 440 weapons in Canada-wide raids targeting 3D-printed guns