Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?
WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus will make the final call based on the advice the committee gives him. He warned earlier this week that he remains concerned about the impact of the virus, noting there were 170,000 deaths from COVID-19 reported around the world in the last two months.

Is COVID-19 still a global health emergency?

Trudeau tells Liberal caucus to 'meet the moment'

Trudeau tells Liberal caucus to 'meet the moment'
Trudeau says his party will push for improvements in public health-care, build a green economy and continue to support Ukraine following Russia's invasion. He encouraged his caucus to build an economy that works for the middle class, and that will benefit future generations.

Trudeau tells Liberal caucus to 'meet the moment'

Another B.C. mill affected by forestry downturn

Another B.C. mill affected by forestry downturn
Western Forest Products announced Thursday that the mill will not restart "in its current configuration" and says a group, including the United Steelworkers and Indigenous partners, will spend the next 90 days seeking viable solutions for the operation.    

Another B.C. mill affected by forestry downturn

Canadians fret over state of health care: poll

Canadians fret over state of health care: poll
Doctors, nurses and patient advocacy groups have been frantically waving red flags about the crisis unfolding in Canadian hospitals since the pandemic began, when intensive care units and emergency rooms were flooded with patients.

Canadians fret over state of health care: poll

Get tougher with Canada on USMCA, senators urge

Get tougher with Canada on USMCA, senators urge
The letter says American dairy producers still aren't getting the access to the Canadian market they're entitled to under the U.S.-Mexico-Canada Agreement. It also describes Canada's planned digital services tax as discriminatory and raises similar concerns about new legislation to regulate online streaming and news.

Get tougher with Canada on USMCA, senators urge

B.C. requests more info on Surrey police shift

B.C. requests more info on Surrey police shift
Farnworth says the policing transition in Surrey is complex, requiring a full and in-depth analysis before a decision is made, as stability in policing is fundamental to ensuring public safety. Surrey city council voted in December to send a plan to Farnworth requesting to keep the RCMP, saying that would save $235 million over five years.

B.C. requests more info on Surrey police shift