Thursday, February 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Telus merges mobility, home service into new unit

Telus merges mobility, home service into new unit
Telus says the change, which sees Mobility Solutions and Home Solutions & Consumer Excellence becoming one under the new title, represents the next chapter for the company. The company says Jim Senko, executive vice-president and former president of Mobility Solutions, is now chief product officer of the consumer solutions unit, a newly created role.

Telus merges mobility, home service into new unit

B.C. Greens name surgeon as second deputy leader

B.C. Greens name surgeon as second deputy leader
Dr. Sanjiv Gandhi is the former chief of pediatric cardiovascular and thoracic surgery at BC Children’s Hospital and has been an outspoken critic of the government's health-care policy. Gandhi said he hasn't decided yet whether he will run in the next election.    

B.C. Greens name surgeon as second deputy leader

TIFF's senior Indo-Canadian executive dies at 37

TIFF's senior Indo-Canadian executive dies at 37
Born and raised in Sarnia, Ontario, Ravi was of Filipino and Indian heritage. Srinivasan earned a bachelor's degree in film and English literature at Wilfrid Laurier University and studied film and television production at Sheridan College.

TIFF's senior Indo-Canadian executive dies at 37

'Sikh' struck on head in hate-motivated assault in Canada

'Sikh' struck on head in hate-motivated assault in Canada
Upon reaching the scene, police found that a man had been struck on the head causing his "religious head covering" -- which they later identified as turban -- to fall on the ground. The suspect allegedly passed derogatory comments at the victim before he left the TTC station, the Toronto Police said in a statement.

'Sikh' struck on head in hate-motivated assault in Canada

42 year old man ends up with serious injuries after being stabbed in Granville Entertainment District

42 year old man ends up with serious injuries after being stabbed in Granville Entertainment District
Officers patrolling near Granville and Smithe Street were flagged down by the victim around 9:40 p.m. Sunday after he was attacked. The man had serious injuries and was rushed to hospital. He is expected to recover.    

42 year old man ends up with serious injuries after being stabbed in Granville Entertainment District

Abbotsford Police investigate Saturday night shooting

Abbotsford Police investigate Saturday night shooting
Upon arrival, officers located a male victim in his twenties. The man sustained non-life-threatening injuries. The initial investigation suggests that this incident was not random.

Abbotsford Police investigate Saturday night shooting