Friday, February 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 06 Sep, 2023 01:03 PM
  • Feds award $15 million contract to Sun Life to lay groundwork for dental care program

The federal government has awarded a contract worth up to $15 million to lay the groundwork for a new national dental insurance plan.

The new plan, which was a key demand from the NDP as part of the its supply and confidence agreement with the governing Liberals, will replace the interim dental benefit for kids rolled out last year.

Procurement Minister Jean-Yves Duclos and Health Minister Mark Holland announced Wednesday the first contract for the new program was awarded to Sun Life Assurance Company of Canada.

This initial contract is to cover setup costs while the final contract for the plan itself is negotiated. Initial costs include recruitment, technology and business planning.

The federal government says this interim agreement will allow for the "timely launch and successful operation" of the plan.

"The main contract is expected to be awarded in fall 2023, pending Government of Canada approval," a news release said.

In 2022 the Liberals delivered on a temporary dental benefit worth up to $650 for each child under 12, depending on family income. Last spring the government said 300,000 children had already received the benefit to help cover dental fees.

The NDP has pushed for dental care coverage for years and made it a deal breaker in negotiations with the Liberals in exchange for NDP support on key votes in the minority Parliament.

The new insurance program is expected to launch later this year with initial coverage for kids under the age of 18, people with disabilities and seniors.

The spring budget promised $13 billion over the next five years to implement the national dental care plan, which the federal government says will insure up to nine million people.

Families with net annual incomes below $90,000 will be covered by the plan, while those with incomes below $70,000 will have dental coverage with no co-pays.

 

MORE National ARTICLES

Ontario and B.C. headed for a buyer's market: RBC

Ontario and B.C. headed for a buyer's market: RBC
Sales in Vancouver, Victoria, the Fraser Valley, Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton, London and Niagara are now seeing a ratio of sales to listings close to 0.40,  the threshold where buyers have more "sway on prices."

Ontario and B.C. headed for a buyer's market: RBC

Vancouver police issue porch pirate warning

Vancouver police issue porch pirate warning
Police say a man has been charged with two counts of theft and their investigation continues. Between Sept. 1 and Dec. 7, police say 146 such package thefts have been reported to police.

Vancouver police issue porch pirate warning

Cloverdale Sport & Ice Complex to open in Fall of 2024

Cloverdale Sport & Ice Complex to open in Fall of 2024
When opened, the new ice sheets will offer various programs including ice hockey, figure skating, public lessons, skating sessions, and dry-floor summer use for sports such as a lacrosse and ball hockey. The Cloverdale Sport & Ice Complex will be located at 6336 177B Street and will open in the fall of 2024.  

Cloverdale Sport & Ice Complex to open in Fall of 2024

Personal health data vulnerable: B.C. commissioner

Personal health data vulnerable: B.C. commissioner
Information and privacy commissioner Michael McEvoy says in a report released by his office Thursday that security gaps in the public health computer system put it at risk of abuse by bad actors, from cyber criminals to jilted lovers looking for information about an ex.  

Personal health data vulnerable: B.C. commissioner

Vaccine delay would have cost billions: study

Vaccine delay would have cost billions: study
Vaccine procurement and administration costs were about $3.7 billion. The report said the direct savings associated with averting COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations were an estimated $3.3 billion to $5.8 billion.

Vaccine delay would have cost billions: study

Report says climate plan underfunded, unclear

Report says climate plan underfunded, unclear
The Canadian Climate Institute put out the report that makes 11 recommendations for improvements to the federal government's draft $1.6-billion strategy that was released in November.

Report says climate plan underfunded, unclear