Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds Expand Automatic Sign-up For Old Age Benefits To Include Income Supplement

The Canadian Press, 09 Jan, 2018 01:04 PM
    OTTAWA — Low-income seniors will no longer have to apply for an income top-up under a newly launched program to automatically sign them up for the benefit payments.
     
     
    As of now, seniors who automatically enrolled for old age security benefits will also be automatically considered for the guaranteed income supplement based on their tax filings.
     
     
    Benefits will begin to flow to eligible, low-income seniors beginning one month after they turn 65.
     
     
    The federal government says it expects up to 17,000 seniors will become eligible for the supplement each month either by cheque or through direct deposit, depending on how they receive their Canada Pension Plan payments.
     
     
    The government began automatically enrolling eligible seniors for old age security benefits in May 2013.
     
     
    The first wave of the program targeted Canadians who at age 64 — one year before they are eligible to receive old age security payments — easily met eligibility requirements.
     
     
     
     A second phase was launched in November 2016 to include a wider net of applicants.
     
     
    Employment and Social Development Canada says more than 60 per cent of new old age security beneficiaries have been signed up through the process since its launch.
     
     
    An internal government review found only one error out of 1,200 people in the first phase of the automatic enrolment, attributed to an incorrect date of birth in the database of social insurance numbers.
     
     
    As of the summer, federal workers had collected the wrongfully paid benefits.
     
     
    Officials calculated that the same error rate spread across the first wave of the program, about 334,000 people, would have resulted in $200,000 in incorrect payments out of $173.4 million in benefits, according to a briefing note obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Calgary Woman Found Guilty In Son's Death Sentenced To Three Years

    Calgary Woman Found Guilty In Son's Death Sentenced To Three Years
    CALGARY — A woman found guilty in her son's death by failing to seek medical treatment for his strep infection has been sentenced to three years in prison.

    Calgary Woman Found Guilty In Son's Death Sentenced To Three Years

    Terror Suspect Mohamed Harkat Poses Low Risk Of Violence, Psychiatrist Says

    Terror Suspect Mohamed Harkat Poses Low Risk Of Violence, Psychiatrist Says
    OTTAWA — A psychiatrist who has treated terror suspect Mohamed Harkat for the last eight years says the refugee from Algeria is unlikely to commit violent acts.

    Terror Suspect Mohamed Harkat Poses Low Risk Of Violence, Psychiatrist Says

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist
    A Calgary judge has dismissed all charges against a well-known Vancouver marijuana activist who had been accused of trafficking and drug possession.

    Up In Smoke: Calgary Judge Dismisses Charges Against Vancouver Pot Activist

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law
    A Quebec woman, the National Council of Canadian Muslims and the Canadian Civil Liberties Association launched a challenge last week.

    Lawyers To Seek Temporary Reprieve Today From Quebec's Face-Veil Law

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak
    FERNIE, B.C. — There's no word on when residents of the southeastern B.C., community of Fernie will have access to a rink where three men died of an ammonia leak a month ago.

    RCMP Investigation At B.C. Ice Rink Continues One Month After Fatal Leak

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence
    OTTAWA — Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale says the federal government is allocating up to $327.6 million over five years and $100 million a year after that to fight gun and gang violence.

    Federal Government Earmark $327m Over Five Years To Fight Gun, Gang Violence