Friday, May 22, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds Expand Automatic Sign-up For Old Age Benefits To Include Income Supplement

The Canadian Press, 09 Jan, 2018 01:04 PM
    OTTAWA — Low-income seniors will no longer have to apply for an income top-up under a newly launched program to automatically sign them up for the benefit payments.
     
     
    As of now, seniors who automatically enrolled for old age security benefits will also be automatically considered for the guaranteed income supplement based on their tax filings.
     
     
    Benefits will begin to flow to eligible, low-income seniors beginning one month after they turn 65.
     
     
    The federal government says it expects up to 17,000 seniors will become eligible for the supplement each month either by cheque or through direct deposit, depending on how they receive their Canada Pension Plan payments.
     
     
    The government began automatically enrolling eligible seniors for old age security benefits in May 2013.
     
     
    The first wave of the program targeted Canadians who at age 64 — one year before they are eligible to receive old age security payments — easily met eligibility requirements.
     
     
     
     A second phase was launched in November 2016 to include a wider net of applicants.
     
     
    Employment and Social Development Canada says more than 60 per cent of new old age security beneficiaries have been signed up through the process since its launch.
     
     
    An internal government review found only one error out of 1,200 people in the first phase of the automatic enrolment, attributed to an incorrect date of birth in the database of social insurance numbers.
     
     
    As of the summer, federal workers had collected the wrongfully paid benefits.
     
     
    Officials calculated that the same error rate spread across the first wave of the program, about 334,000 people, would have resulted in $200,000 in incorrect payments out of $173.4 million in benefits, according to a briefing note obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act.

    MORE National ARTICLES

    Home sales in B.C. rise in October despite higher prices, less choice

    Home sales in B.C. rise in October despite higher prices, less choice
    The British Columbia Real Estate Association says there were 8,677 residential sales across the province in October, a leap of 19.3 per cent over the same period last year.

    Home sales in B.C. rise in October despite higher prices, less choice

    Pender Island Beaver Battle: Parks Canada Asked To Reconsider Euthanasia

    Pender Island Beaver Battle: Parks Canada Asked To Reconsider Euthanasia
    PENDER ISLAND, B.C. — A battle over beavers is brewing on South Pender Island, B.C., where residents are vowing to save the animals from euthanasia.

    Pender Island Beaver Battle: Parks Canada Asked To Reconsider Euthanasia

    Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers

    Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers
     Ferry service has resumed on two routes between Tsawwassen and Vancouver Island after high winds cancelled sailings on Monday.

    Ferry Service Resumes But No Power For Thousands Of Vancouver Island Customers

    Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms

    Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms
    A Montreal-area town has decided to forbid all nudity in the locker rooms of its municipal pools — a level of discretion that has one man wondering if it doesn't go too far. 

    Amid Complaints, Quebec Town Forbids Nudity In Pool Locker Rooms

    Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines

    Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines
    Speaking to reporters in Manila after a summit of Southeast Asian countries, Trudeau says he told Duterte about the need for the rule of law in the Philippines.

    Justin Trudeau Raises Concerns With Rodrigo Duterte Over Bloody Drug War In The Philippines

    Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila

    Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila
    The household waste, which includes soiled diapers, has been rotting in about 100 shipping containers at the port for four years.

    Filipinos Urge Justin Trudeau To Take Out Canadian Trash Still Festering In Manila