Monday, May 18, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

714 COVID19 cases for Friday
There are 6,317 active cases of COVID-19 in the province, and 178,980 people who tested positive have recovered. Of the active cases, 328 individuals are in hospital and 138 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

714 COVID19 cases for Friday

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP
Metrotown station has been closed down by Transit Police and Burnaby RCMP are on scene there are reports of a shooting along with unconfirmed reports of a pipe bomb. Burnaby RCMP has taken to Twitter to with various updates regarding the incident.

Reports of shooting at Metrotown station: Burnaby RCMP

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography
This investigation spanned international borders and the New Westminster Police Department extends its appreciation to all police agencies who provided assistance, namely the British Columbia Integrated Child Exploitation Unit and the U.S. Department of Homeland Security.

New Westminster man convicted in court of child luring and child pornography

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip
The Native Women’s Association of Canada (NWAC) said it is shocked that Trudeau “ducked out entirely” from a national day set aside to reflect on the legacy of residential schools.

Trudeau faces backlash over Tofino trip

Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen dies at 88

Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen dies at 88
A statement from his family says he died peacefully on Sept. 30 from complications related to Parkinson's disease. Owen served in various elected roles in Vancouver from 1978 to 2002, including the last nine years as the city's mayor.

Former Vancouver mayor Philip Owen dies at 88

Minister restores federal review of coal mine

Minister restores federal review of coal mine
Environment Minister Jonathan Wilkinson has reinstated his decision to subject a thermal coal mine expansion in Alberta to a federal review after a court ordered him to rethink it. Wilkinson said the Alberta First Nation whose objections led to the court order concerning the Vista mine project have now withdrawn their concerns. 

Minister restores federal review of coal mine