Tuesday, May 19, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

Stanley Park reopens following coyote cull

Stanley Park reopens following coyote cull
The Vancouver Park Board says a small number of coyotes are still believed to be in the park but they are not an immediate threat to the public. The park has been reopened to 24-hours a day.

Stanley Park reopens following coyote cull

Schools, parents to be notified about COVID cases

Schools, parents to be notified about COVID cases
Dr. Bonnie Henry said Tuesday that parents and teachers from across the province have let it be known they need to be informed about the transmission of the virus and that a new system is expected to be in place by the end of the week.

Schools, parents to be notified about COVID cases

525 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

525 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
Of the active cases, 332 individuals are currently in hospital and 155 are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

525 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Federal leaders face postelection uncertainty

Federal leaders face postelection uncertainty
It was a political landscape virtually unchanged from mid-August, when Trudeau pulled the plug only two years into his minority mandate and sent Canadians to the polls in the hopes of riding a post-vaccine campaign high to secure a majority.    

Federal leaders face postelection uncertainty

O'Toole triggers review of Conservative campaign

O'Toole triggers review of Conservative campaign
Mail-in ballots still need to be counted, but so far projections show the Conservatives finishing with 119 seats, compared to the Liberals with 158, returning the Grits to Parliament with a minority government.

O'Toole triggers review of Conservative campaign

One dead in shooting near Vernon, B.C., police

One dead in shooting near Vernon, B.C., police
A suspect vehicle was spotted near Armstrong and RCMP say they arrested one man. RCMP Sgt. Janelle Shoihet says more details about the identity of the victim will be released after further investigation and once relatives are informed.

One dead in shooting near Vernon, B.C., police