Wednesday, May 20, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

BC Hydro warns more outages possible this fall

BC Hydro warns more outages possible this fall
The latest report from the Crown utility says record-breaking heat between June and August in many parts of the province killed trees or weakened their root systems.    

BC Hydro warns more outages possible this fall

U.S. cruise bill would hurt B.C. economy: official

U.S. cruise bill would hurt B.C. economy: official
Under the proposed legislation, foreign cruise ships carrying more than 1,000 passengers can bypass Canadian ports if they wish. Ian Robertson, the CEO of the Greater Victoria Harbour Authority, said the bill would hurt Victoria and British Columbia's economy.

U.S. cruise bill would hurt B.C. economy: official

Party leaders' offices charge pennies for copies

Party leaders' offices charge pennies for copies
The office Trudeau runs as MP for Papineau in Montreal — not prime minister — submitted the charge on his office expenses in March. It submitted another eight-cent “copy charge” last September.

Party leaders' offices charge pennies for copies

B.C. reports 4 deaths, 706 new COVID-19 cases

B.C. reports 4 deaths, 706 new COVID-19 cases
About 30 per cent of active cases are located in the Fraser Health region, followed by nearly 26 per cent in Interior Health, 18 per cent in Vancouver Coastal Health, close to 15 per cent in the North and 11 per cent in Island Health. There are 23 active outbreaks in health-care settings, including three hospitals.

B.C. reports 4 deaths, 706 new COVID-19 cases

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond
The suspect, a 64-year old man from Richmond, was located and arrested a short time later. Investigators are now looking for dash-cam video that may have recorded the suspect’s vehicle in various locations as the events transpired. 

64 year old in custody after alleged shooting in Richmond

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP
One of the suspect had gone so far as to sew a pocket into their undies, specifically for hiding illicit drugs. In total officers seized 11 grams of methamphetamine, 31 grams of cocaine, 7.81 grams of fentanyl and over $8000 in cash. All four of the vehicles were seized as offence related property.    

4 investigations tied to alleged drug trafficking with drugs found in suspect's underwear: Surrey RCMP