Saturday, May 23, 2026
ADVT 
National

Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

Darpan News Desk The Canadian Press, 25 Mar, 2022 11:34 AM
  • Feds give another $2B to address health backlogs

OTTAWA - Health Minister Jean-Yves Duclos says the federal government will commit another $2 billion to help provincial health systems work through their surgical and diagnostic backlogs caused by the COVID-19 pandemic.

The money, included in the newly tabled Bill C-17, follows a $4-billion top-up to the federal health transfer last summer and is expected to be a one-time payment, distributed equally based on population.

Throughout the pandemic hospitals across the country had to delay non-emergency procedures to make way for urgent COVID-19 cases.

That has led to delayed care for millions of Canadians, on top of already lengthy wait lists for many procedures and diagnostic tests.

In a report released last month, the Ontario Medical Association estimated the pandemic had delayed 21 million patient services in that province alone, including surgeries for preventative care, cancer screenings and diagnostic tests.

In addition, it said doctors are reporting that patients "who would have been diagnosed and treated sooner are coming in later and sicker" because of the pandemic.

"These delays are a burden that can be very hard to bear for the affected patients, their families and their loved ones, as well as for the health-care workers caring for them," Duclos said.

The Liberals promised an immediate $6-billion investment to address backlogs during the 2021 federal election campaign.

Provinces have been asking for the federal government to provide an increased share of health spending on a long-term basis so they can make more sustainable changes to address the stress on their health-care systems.

Duclos laid out what he called the federal government's vision for collaboration with the provinces and territories on health care, citing bilateral deals the government has made in child care and housing as an example.

"We need to acknowledge that if we do not act quickly and decisively, the long-term survival of the universal and public health system Canadians cherish is at risk," Duclos said.

"Canadians are not interested in a jurisdictional debate or a fiscal or financial fight."

This collaboration will focus on five priority areas, the minister said: backlogs and recruitment and retention of health-care workers; access to primary care; long-term care and home care; mental health and addictions; and digital health and virtual care.

Bill C-17 would also provide municipalities the authority to deal with transit shortfalls and improve housing supply and affordability, in partnership with the provinces and territories.

The federal government already announced a transfer of $750 million, a one-time payment to help cities maintain service levels despite decreased transit ridership as a result of the pandemic.

MORE National ARTICLES

B.C. extends state of emergency due to wildfires

B.C. extends state of emergency due to wildfires
Mike Farnworth says the extension recognizes that the potential for significant wildfire activity persists even as cooler weather helps firefighting crews.

B.C. extends state of emergency due to wildfires

Charge stayed in 2009 worker's death in B.C.

Charge stayed in 2009 worker's death in B.C.
The B.C. Prosecution Service says in a statement it recently determined the available evidence no longer satisfies the charge assessment standard for a prosecution to continue.

Charge stayed in 2009 worker's death in B.C.

Survey examines hesitancy in early vaccine rollout

Survey examines hesitancy in early vaccine rollout
The survey asked more than 14,500 Canadians online between December 2020 and February 2021 if they intended to get vaccinated once they were eligible, with researchers identifying differences in participants by age, education, ethnicity, and home province.

Survey examines hesitancy in early vaccine rollout

B.C.'s top doctor says vaccination protects kids

B.C.'s top doctor says vaccination protects kids
Dr. Bonnie Henry says about 600,000 kids in that age range are not eligible for vaccination in B.C., and rising cases in the United States are directly linked to low immunization rates in the community.

B.C.'s top doctor says vaccination protects kids

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday
Provincial Health Officer Dr. Bonnie Henry and Health Minister Adrian Dix said that there are 6,045 active cases of COVID-19 in the province. Of the active cases, 187 individuals are currently hospitalized, 103 of whom are in intensive care. The remaining people are recovering at home in self-isolation.

655 COVID19 cases for Tuesday

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months
The coroner says in a statement the powerful opioid fentanyl was involved in 85 per cent of deaths. Lapointe says the data released today highlights the immensity of the public health emergency.

Overdose deaths in B.C. top 1,000 in six months